Mitu, Narcis Eduard (2007): Agricultural insurances in Romania: present and future aspects. Published in: Finance - Ghallenges of the Future, ISSN 1583-3712 , Vol. No. 6, (2007): pp. 198-206.
Download (189kB) | Preview
Concern for risks that stifle investment and contribute to vulnerability of the rural poor is a driving force behind various types of agricultural insurance. Insuring small-scale farmers against crop losses to adverse weather or other hazards has attracted public sector involvement in the provision of agricultural insurance in many countries among which Romania. With few exceptions, such interventions have encountered severe problems owing to high administrative costs, moral hazard, adverse selection etc. Government interventions should be aimed at improving the accessibility and quality of private sector insurance. This will require the establishment of a framework for responding to severe systemic events affecting agricultural production, and establishing an appropriate regulatory environment to foster private sector innovation and investment in services for less catastrophic events. Thus, in this item we tried to illustrate some elemental incident to appearances agricultural insurances in Romania.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Agricultural insurances in Romania: present and future aspects|
|Keywords:||agricultural insurances, moral hazard, adverse selection, weather insurance, weather derivative|
|Subjects:||G - Financial Economics > G2 - Financial Institutions and Services > G22 - Insurance; Insurance Companies
O - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth > O1 - Economic Development > O13 - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Energy; Environment; Other Primary Products
P - Economic Systems > P4 - Other Economic Systems > P42 - Productive Enterprises; Factor and Product Markets; Prices; Population
|Depositing User:||Narcis Eduard MITU|
|Date Deposited:||28. Sep 2008 00:12|
|Last Modified:||19. Feb 2013 01:35|
1. Mahul O. - Optimal Insurance against Climatic Experience, American Journal of Agricultural Economics 83(3), 2001.
2. Miranda M., Vedenov D. - Innovations in Agricultural and Natural Disaster Insurance, American Journal of Agricultural Economics 83(3), 2001.
3. Mitu N. E. - Asigurări şi reasigurări, Ed. Universitaria, Craiova, 2005.
4. Popescu J., Cristea M. - Asigurări şi reasigurări – Teorie şi practică, Ed. Universitaria, Craiova, 2003.
5. Zorrilla J.L. - Extensive Herbaceous Cultivation and Cattle Risks: Possibilities that Agricultural Insurance Offers for their Management, Paper presented at the international conference on Agricultural Insurance and Income Guarantee, Madrid,13 May, 2002.