Radeljic, Branislav (2008): Independent Kosovo: A Threat for the Balkan Region?
Download (132kB) | Preview
Both political and security future of the Balkans highly depend on the conditions in a newly created state of Kosovo. Bearing in mind the ethnic Albanian leadership declared unilateral independence in February 2008 and without providing the Serbian minority with durable solution, this paper aims at exploring three possible scenarios following the Kosovo independence. It combines both sides' positions offering wider understanding why each of them feels entitled to the Kosovo's territory and what are the risks if that territory remains only in one side's hands. The three puzzling questions presented in this paper, supported by the concepts from different thinkers (Cox, Buzan, Wæver) are arguably among the least discussed ones in contemporary discourse about Kosovo's future.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Independent Kosovo: A Threat for the Balkan Region?|
|Keywords:||Kosovo, independence, Serbs, Albanians, Macedonia, Bosnia, EU|
|Subjects:||Z - Other Special Topics > Z0 - General > Z00 - General
Z - Other Special Topics > Z1 - Cultural Economics; Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology > Z19 - Other
|Depositing User:||Branislav Radeljic, Dr.|
|Date Deposited:||24. Nov 2008 00:26|
|Last Modified:||20. Mar 2014 20:19|
• Agence France Presse (2008). Le Premier ministre serbe dissout le gouvernement. Retrieved 10 July 2008, from: http://www.france24.com.
• Alia, R. (1978). The Albanian League of Prizren - A Brilliant Page of Our History Written in Blood. Tirana: The 8 Nentori.
• Alic, A. (2008). Bosnian Serbs Protest over Kosovo. Retrieved 1 August 2008, from: http://www.isn.ethz.ch/news/sw/details.cfm?id=18677.
• Andjelic, N. (2003). Bosnia-Herzegovina: The End of Legacy, London: Frank Cass.
• BBC News (2008). Kosovo Serbs launch new assembly. Retrieved 12 August 2008, from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7478865.stm.
• Beitz, C. R. (1999). Political Theory and International Relations. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
• Bilefsky, D. (2008). Serbia Formally Proposes Ethnic Partition of Kosovo. Retrieved 5 July 2008, from: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/25/world/europe/25kosovo.html?fta=y.
• Buzan, B. & Wæver, O. (1998). Security: A New Framework for Analysis. London: Lynne Rienner.
• Buzan, B. & Wæver, O. (2003). Regions and Powers: The Structure of International Security. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
• Canas, V. (2008). Kosovo and the Future of Balkan Security. Retrieved 5 July 2008, from: http://www.nato-pa.int/default.Asp?SHORTCUT=1480.
• CIA (2008). The World Factbook. Retrieved 10 July 2008, from: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/.
• Cox, W. R. & Sinclair J. T. (1996). Approaches to World Order (Cambridge Studies in International Relations). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
• Crotty, W. J. (2005). Democratic Development & Political Terrorism: The Global Perspective. Lebanon, NH: University Press of New England.
• Dayton and Democracy (1998). Interview in Holding the Course: Annual Survey of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union, Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe.
• Devic, A. (2008). “Transnationalization of Civil Society in Kosovo: International and Local Limits of Peace and Multiculturalism,” in Kostovicova, D. & V. Bojicic-Dzelilovoc (eds.), Transnationalism in the Balkans, London: Routledge.
• Dufour, J. L. (2004). Les crises internationals de Pékin (1900) à Bagdad (2004). Paris: Editions Complexe.
• Euronews (2008). Kosovo's leader hails Serbian election outcome. Retrieved 10 July, 2008, from: http://www.euronews.net/.
• Gehmlich, K. (2008). Serbia warns EU of “cutting corners” over Kosovo. Retrieved 15 August 2008, from: http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSL088837320080209?sp=true.
• Human Rights Watch (2008). Kosovo: Build New State on Rule of Law. Retrieved 12 July 2008 from: http://hrw.org/english/docs/2008/02/15/serbia18053_txt.htm.
• Kacowicz, A. M. & Lutomski P. (2007). Population Resettlement in International Conflict: A Comparative study. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
• Keating, M. (2005). Plurinational Democracy: Stateless Nations in a Post-Sovereignty Era. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
• Kostovicova, D. & Bojicic-Dzelilovoc, V. (2008). “Europeanizing the Balkans: Rethinking the Post-communist and post-Conflict Transition,” in Kostovicova, D. & V. Bojicic-Dzelilovoc (eds.), Transnationalism in the Balkans, London: Routledge.
• Kostovicova, D. (2005). Kosovo: The Politics of Identity and Space. London: Routledge.
• Kostunica, V. (2007). Statement given at the fourth round of direct talks in Vienna. Retrieved 1 Nov 2008, from: www.kim.sr.gov.yu.
• Kupchan, C. A. (2005). Independence for Kosovo, Retrieved 10 August 2008, from: http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20051101facomment84603/charles-a-kupchan/independence-forkosovo.html.
• Layne, C. (2000). “Miscalculations and Blunders Lead to War.” In Ted Galen Carpenter (ed.), NATO's Empty Victory: A Postmortem on the Balkan War. Washington DC: Cato Institute.
• Mearsheimer J. (1990). “Back to the Future. Instability in Europe after the Cold War,” in International Security, Vol. 15, N°1.
• The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Serbia (2007). Ruecker, Sejdiu criticize opening of office in Mitrovica. Retrieved 6 July 2008, from: http://www.mfa.gov.yu/Bilteni/Engleski/b121207_e.html#N21.
• Ottaway, M. (2003). “Rebuilding State Institutions in Collapsed States,” in J. Milliken (ed.), State Failure, Collapse and Reconstruction, Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing.
• Raviv, A. (2005). “Jigsaw sovereignty: the economic consequences of decentralization in post-Dayton Bosnia,” in The George Washington International Law Review, Washington, DC: George Washington University National Law Center, January 2005.
• Tilly, C. (1992). Contrainte et Capital dans formation de l’Europe 990-1990. Paris: Aubier.
• Schwartz, P. (2008). The case of Kosovo: “Self-Determination” as an instrument of imperialist policy. Retrieved 5 July 2008, from: http://www.wsws.org/articles/2008/feb2008/koso-f20.shtml.
• Smith, D. (2003). “Trends and Causes of Armed Conflict,” in The Berghof Handbook for Conflict Transformation. Berlin: Berghof Foundation.
• Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia (2003). Popis stanovništva, domaćinstava i Stanova 2002. Knjiga 1: Nacionalna ili etnička pripadnost po naseljima. Beograd: Republicki zavod za statistiku Republike Srbije.
• Steiner, M. (2003). Southeastern Europe: Steiner Says No Return of Kosovo to Serbian Rule. Retrieved 15 May 2005, from: http://www.rferl.org/newline/ 2002/06/4-See/see260602.asp.
• United States of America’s Department of Defense (2002). The National Security Strategy of the United Sates of America.
• The Washington Post (2008). Independence Is Proclaimed By Kosovo. Serbia Condemns Break; U.S. Recognition Expected. Retrieved 10 July 2008, from: http://www.washingtonpost.com.
• Weibel E. (2002). Histoire et géopolitique des Balkans de 1800 à nos jours. Paris: Ellipses.
• Woodward, S. L. (1997). “The Dayton Agreement: The US Leads, Europe pays,” in The OMRI Annual Survey of Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union, 1996: Forging Ahead, Falling Behind, Armonk, NY: M. E. Sharpe.
• Zaum, D. (2005). “Economic reform and Transformation of Payment Bureaux,” in D. Chandler (ed.), Peace Without Politics: Ten Years of State-Building in Bosnia, London: Routledge.
• Zhelyazkova, A. (1999). Macedonia and Kosovo After the Military Operations. Retrieved 15 August 2008, from: http://www.omda.bg/imir/mk_social2.html.
Available Versions of this Item
- Independent Kosovo: A Threat for the Balkan Region? (deposited 24. Nov 2008 00:26) [Currently Displayed]