Hasan, Zubair (2008): Markets and the role of government in an economy from Islamic perspective. Forthcoming in: Encyclopaedia of Islamic Economics , Vol. 4, : pp. 1-11.
Download (79Kb) | Preview
This paper explains the notion of market in historical perspective and the role markets play in free enterprise economies. It lists the major market failures and the role governments are expected to play in regulating and supplementing markets including the promotion of CSR from Islamic perspective. The discussion is limited to product and factor markets.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Markets and the role of government in an economy from Islamic perspective|
|Keywords:||Market; Invisible hand; Market failures; Islam norms; Trade; Role of state; CSR|
|Subjects:||F - International Economics > F1 - Trade > F10 - General
D - Microeconomics > D4 - Market Structure and Pricing > D41 - Perfect Competition
E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics > E6 - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, Macroeconomic Policy, and General Outlook > E61 - Policy Objectives; Policy Designs and Consistency; Policy Coordination
|Depositing User:||Zubair Hasan|
|Date Deposited:||17. Dec 2008 18:56|
|Last Modified:||12. Feb 2013 12:18|
1. Ghazali, Abu Hamid (1955): Ihya Ulum al-Din, (Urdu Translation, volume 2) Raj Kumar Press, Lucknow.
2. Hasan, Zubair (1992): ‘Profit Maximisation: Secular Versus Islamic’ in Sayyid Tahir et al (Ed) ‘Readings in Microeconomics: An Islamic Perspective’ Longman, Malaysia (pp. 239-255).
3. Hasan, Zubair(2005) “Islamic Banking at the Crossroads: Theory versus Practice” in ‘Islamic Perspectives on Wealth Creation’ edited by Munawar Iqbal and Rodney Wilson, Edinburgh University Press, UK, (pp.3-17)
4. Hasan, Zubair (2006): “Sustainable Development in an Islamic Perspectiv: Meaning, Implication, and Policy Concerns, in Kadouf H A and Sharifa, Z. Junid (Editors) Land Use Planning and Environmental Sustainability in Malaysia: : Policies and Trends, Research Centre, IIUM pp.41-66.
5. Islahi, Abdul Azim (1992): Ibn Taimiyyah’s Concept of Market Mechanism, in Sayyid Tahir et al (Ed) ‘Readings in Microeconomics: An Islamic Perspective’ Longman, Malaysia ( pp. 239-255).
6. Kafh, Monzer (1992): Market Structure: Free Cooperation, in Sayyid Tahir et al (Ed) ‘Readings in Microeconomics: An Islamic Perspective’ Longman, Malaysia ( pp. 146-156).
7. Tabatabai (1982): The spiritual life: Selections from Hazrat Ali’s Nehj el Balaghah, Translation with explanatory notes by William C. Chillick 2nd edition, Tehran
8. Vogel, David (2005): The Market for Virtue: The Potential And Limits Of Corporate Social Responsibility Brookings Institution Press