Kannan, Srinivasan (2008): Information Economics and Intellectual Property Rights.
Download (83kB) | Preview
Intellectual property rights is a concern for developing countries ever since the publication of Dunkel proposal. Creation of WTO has generated fear in the minds of member nations. These efforts have been viewed as a strategy by the developed world to control the developing world. In India there were discussions on the impact of WTO on agriculture, manufacturing and service sectors. There were specific instances in which very strong criticisms were raised on the patenting of Basmati rice, ponni rice, turmeric and other agricultural products. There were also anxieties on what will be the impact of WTO in other sectors. One such sector is Information Technology. IT contributes substantially to Indian economy. It is very important to understand the importance of WTO and IPR on IT sector. The present article is an effort to discuss impacts of IPR on IT.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Information Economics and Intellectual Property Rights|
|English Title:||Information Economics and Intellectual Property Rights|
|Keywords:||ICT, IPR, Information Economics, Information Goods|
|Subjects:||D - Microeconomics > D8 - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty > D80 - General|
|Depositing User:||Kannan Srinivasan|
|Date Deposited:||05. Mar 2009 10:07|
|Last Modified:||01. Mar 2013 06:48|
1. May, Christopher . “Digital rights management and the breakdown of social norms.” First Monday, No 11(2003). http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/1097/1017 (November 19 2008).
2. Saith, Ashwani and Vijayabaskar, M. ICTS and Indian Economic Development: Economy, Work, Regulation, SAGE, 2005
3. Shapiro, Carl and Varian, Hal R. Information Rules: A Strategic Guide to the Network Economy. Harvard Business Press, 1999.
4. Shapiro, Carl. and Varian, Hal R. . “Versioning: The Smart Way to Sell Information” Harvard Business Review , November-December (1998).
5. Shapiro, Carl. and Varian, Hal R. “Antitrust limits to patent settlements.” RAND Journal of Economics 34, No.2, (2003):391-411.
6. Shapiro, Carl. and Varian, Hal R. “The art of standards wars.” California Management Review 41, No.2.(1999).
7. Stern, Robert Mitchell, "Services in the International Economy , University of Michigan Press, 2001
8. Varian, Hal R. Farrell, Joseph and Shapiro, Carl. The Economics of Information Technology: An Introduction. Cambridge University Press, 2004.
9. World Trade Organization. “The World Trade Organization (WTO) and The General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS) Treaty” http://www.ala.org/ (19 November 2008)
10. World Trade Organization. “TRIPS: Text of the Agreement” http://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/trips_e/t_agm0_e.htm(19 November 2008)