Kannan, Srinivasan (2007): Socio-economic Impact of Sethusamudram Project.
Download (97Kb) | Preview
Any major development project has both benefits and disadvantages to the society. Many development projects have very high economic benefit and at the same time lead to environmental hazard. One such project is Sethudamudram project initiated by Government of India. This is a project which aims at minimising the distance of navigation for the goods transport in the sea. This paper is an attempt to study the socio-economic impact of the project based on the secondary data.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Socio-economic Impact of Sethusamudram Project|
|English Title:||Socio-economic Impact of Sethusamudram Project|
|Keywords:||EIA, Environment, Marine, Economic Impact, Sethusamudram|
|Subjects:||Q - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics > Q5 - Environmental Economics > Q56 - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth|
|Depositing User:||Kannan Srinivasan|
|Date Deposited:||11. Mar 2009 15:24|
|Last Modified:||18. Feb 2013 18:19|
1. National Environmental Engineering Research Institute,”Environmental Impact Assessment for proposed Sethusamudram ship canal project” Published by Tuticurin Port Trust, Tuticurin, May 2004 http://www.elaw.org/system/files/Sethusamudram_Shipping_Canal_Project_Final.pdf
2. National Environmental Engineering Research Institute,”Environmental Impact Assessment for proposed Sethusamudram ship canal project” Published by Tuticurin Port Trust, Tuticurin, August 2004.
3. NEERI, July, 2004, Executive Summary, Technical Feasibility and Economic Analysis of Proposed Sethusamudram Channel’, NEERI, July, 2004
4. Quentin, Grafon R, Ha, Phan Van, Kompuas, Tom, “Saving the Seas: The Eonomic Justification for Marine Reserves”, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, Working Paper 04-3, 2004.
5. Rajendran C.P., “Assessing the stability of the Sethusamundram shipping canal” Journal of Geological Society of India, Vol 66, No. 3, September 2005
6. Ramesh, R, Sethusamudram Shipping Canal Project and the unconsidered high risk factors: Can it withstand them? Sethusamudram Corporation Limited website, http://sethusamudram.gov.in/