Karne, Manisha and Venkatesh, Anand (2003): Ananlysis of productivity and efficiency in MSRTC. Published in: Working papers of the Department of Economics (2003): pp. 1-26.
Download (250Kb) | Preview
Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC) has been instrumental in providing access and connectivity across the entire state of Maharashtra. Over the last few years, due to a variety of factors, particularly competition from the private sector, MSRTC’s financial performance has shown a marked deterioration. After the financial turnaround of Karnataka State Road Corporation when it was split in to four smaller organizations, the same solution was suggested by many for large corporations like MSRTC. In this paper, we examine the issue of splitting MSRTC into smaller regions to find out whether it would actually help in its financial recovery. Also, we examine the possibility of improvement in financial profitability by means of enhanced input productivity.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Ananlysis of productivity and efficiency in MSRTC|
|Keywords:||State Road Transport Corporations, Scale Economies, Technical Efficiency, Total Factor Productivity|
|Subjects:||H - Public Economics > H2 - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue > H21 - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
R - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics > R4 - Transportation Systems > R42 - Government and Private Investment Analysis; Road Maintenance; Transportation Planning
P - Economic Systems > P2 - Socialist Systems and Transitional Economies > P25 - Urban, Rural, and Regional Economics
|Depositing User:||ashok karne|
|Date Deposited:||27. Mar 2009 03:16|
|Last Modified:||14. Feb 2013 05:35|
Button K. (1997): The Economics of Urban Transport, Laughborough University, Saxon House
2. Button K. (1993): Transport Economics, 2m Edition, Edward Elgar Publishing Limited
3. Caves, D. W., Christensen, L. R. and Diewert, W. E. (1982): The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity, Econometrica Nov, 50, 1393-1414.
4. Charnes, A., Cooper, W. and Rhodes, E. (1978): Measuring the Efficiency of Decision Making Units, In: European Journal of Operational Research, v. 2, n. 6, pp. 429-444
5. CIRT: State Transport undertaking, profile and performance. Several Reports (1995- 2002).
6. CIRT. (1994): Nationalisation Of Passenger Transport - A Book of Readings, Pune
7. Coelli T, Rao D.S. P, and Battese G.E. (year): An Introduction to Efficiency and Productivity analysis. Kluwer Academic Publishers
8. Coelli T. (1996): A Guide to DEAP version 2.1. A Data Envelopment Analysis (Computer) program, Centre for Efficiency and Productivity Analysis, Department of Economics, University of New England, Armidale, NSW, 2351, Australia.
9. Dalvi. M.Q. (1997):(ed) Transport Planning and Policy in India, Himalaya Publishing House
10. Dalvi, M.Q. (1997): Transport Planning and Policy in India, Himalaya Publishing House, Mumbai. 11. Dalvi, M.Q and Sriraman S. (1998): Indian Railways Tariff Policy, The Indian Economic Journal, 45(2).
12. Estache A and Rossi M. (2002):HOW different is the efficiency of public and private water companies in Asia. The world Bank Economic Review - Vol. 16, No. I, 139-148.
13. Jairaj. K. (2002) Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation: The changing, Scene. Indian Journal of Transport Management, vol.26.no 1.
14. Kilam R. (2000): Institution building for Public transportation System: Financial Perspective. Indian Journal of Transport Management Vol 24,1-6
15. Martin S. (year): Industrial Economics, Economic Analysis And Public policy, I Macmillan Publishing Company.
16. Misra A. (2000): Fleet Augmentation in STUs A strategic Alternative Vol. 24, no.4, April 2000, IJTM, 17. Padam S. (1990): Bus Transport- in India,Ajanta Publication
18. Pindyck R. S. and Rubenfield D. L. (2003): Micro Economics, 5th edition Prentice I Hall India New Delhi
19. Singh S. K. (2001): Economics of Density, Economics and Relative Efficiency: A I case Study of STUs. Working paper 2, Centre for Trans Policy and Economics,C1RT
20. Sriraman S. (1999): State Transport Corporations In India. Final Report I submitted to The Eleventh Finance Commmission, Government of India.
21. Turnbull P. (1998): Regulation, Deregulation or Re-regulation of Transport. Discussion Paper No. 4. Symposium on the Social and Urban Consequences of Technical Development, Deregulation and privatisation of transport.