Funk, Matt (2008): On the Problem of Vague Terms: A Glossary of Clearly Stated Assumptions & Careful, Patient, Descriptions.
Download (4Mb) | Preview
Coase 1930 endures through the decades as one of the most-cited papers in economics due to the fact that it highlights a fundamental and equally enduring problem: "Economic theory has suffered in the past from a failure to state clearly its assumptions. Economists in building up a theory have often omitted to examine the foundations on which it was erected. This examination is, however, essential not only to prevent the misunderstanding and needless controversy which arise from a lack of knowledge of the assumptions on which a theory is based, but also because of the extreme importance for economics of good judgement in choosing between rival sets of assumptions." In 1944 Von Neumann and Morgenstern offered the simply, yet invariably rejected solution: "In… economics the most fruitful work may be that of careful, patient description; indeed this may be by far the largest domain for the present and some time to come….Economic problems [have been and are often] not formulated clearly and are often stated in such vague terms as to make mathematical treatment a priori appear hopeless because it is quite uncertain what the problems really are. There is no point in using exact methods where there is no clarity in the concepts and issues to which they are to be applied. Consequently the initial task is to clarify the knowledge of the matter by further careful descriptive work." This paper offers a stone along the path to the solution to this problem by offering a glossary in this spirit, a glossary germain to some of the most fundamental, open problems in economics. As the fate of the human race may lay in the balance to finding solutions to these problems, this glossary may be a steop in the right direction.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||On the Problem of Vague Terms: A Glossary of Clearly Stated Assumptions & Careful, Patient, Descriptions|
|Keywords:||economic terms; methodology; scientific method; coase 1930; Von Neumann & Morgenstern 1944; definitions; careful, patient descriptions|
|Subjects:||B - History of Economic Thought, Methodology, and Heterodox Approaches > B4 - Economic Methodology > B40 - General
Z - Other Special Topics > Z1 - Cultural Economics; Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology > Z10 - General
|Depositing User:||Matt Funk|
|Date Deposited:||07. Apr 2009 04:54|
|Last Modified:||12. Feb 2013 00:42|
Amir, S. (1994). The role of thermodynamics in the study of economic and ecological systems. Ecological Economics, 10(2), 125-142.
Andsersen, Henning (1995) ‘Research on Islands: Classic, Recent and Prospective Approaches’ in P. M. Vitousek, L. Loope & H. Adsersen, eds. Islands: Biological Diversity and Ecosystem Function, New York, Springer-Verlag, pp. 7-21.
Anckar, D & Anckar, C. (1995) ‘Size, Insularity and Democracy’, Scandinavian Political Studies, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 211-229.
Aumann, R. J. (2008). ‘Game theory’: The new palgrave dictionary of economics. Eds. Steven N. Durlauf and Lawrence E.Blume, Palgrave Macmillan, 2008, The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics Online, Palgrave Macmillan. 21August 2008.
Aumann, R.J. (2005). War and peace. Sveriges Riksbank Prize Lecture. December 8, 2005. Center for the Study of Rationality, and Department of Mathematics, The Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel.
Axelrod, R., & Hamilton, W. (1981). The evolution of cooperation. Science. 211:1390-1396 (March 1981).
Bailey, R. (2002). The rise and eventual fall of ideological environmentalism. Introction to: Global warming and other eco-myths: how the environmental movement uses false science to scare us to death. Random House: U.S.A.
Baldacchino, G. (2007). Fixed links and the engagement of islandness: reviewing the impact of the Confederation Bridge. The Canadian Geographer/Le Géographe Canadien, 51(3), 323-336.
Baldacchino, G. (2007). A world of islands : an island studies reader. Charlottetown, P.E.I.; Malta: Institute of Island Studies; Miller House.
Baldacchino, G., Baldacchino, G., MacDonald, E., Baldacchino, G., & Spears, A. (2007). Bridging islands : the impact of fixed links. Charlottetown, P.E.I.: Acorn Press.
Baldacchino, G., Greenwood, R., MacKinnon, W. E., Bartmann, B., & UPEI. IIS. (1998). Competing strategies of socioeconomic development for small islands. Charlottetown, P.E.I.: IIS, UPEI.
Barlow, R. (2006). King juan carlos 1, hugo chavez 0. htttp://www.sailnet.com.
Bartmann, B. (1991). A world made safe for small states. Charlottetown: Institute of Island Studies.
Baumgärtner, S., Becker, C., Faber, M., & Manstetten, R. (2006). Relative and absolute scarcity of nature. Assessing the roles of economics and ecology for biodiversity conservation. Ecological Economics, 59(4), 487-498.
Black, F., & Scholes, M. (1973). The pricing of options and corporate liabilities. Journal of Political Economy. May/June 1973, Vol. 81, No. 3: pp. 637.
Beaulier, S., & Caplan, B. (2007). Behavioral Economics and Perverse Effects of the Welfare State. Kyklos, 60(4), 485- 507.
Begley, L. (1993). Crossing that bridge : a critical look at the PEI fixed link. Charlottetown, PEI: Ragweed Press.
Benz, M., & Frey, B. S. (2008). Being independent is a great thing. Economica.
Benson, V. S., VanLeeuwen, J. A., Sanchez, J., Dohoo, I. R., & Somers, G. H. (2006). Spatial analysis of land use impact on ground water nitrate concentrations. Journal of environmental quality, 35(2), 421-432. doi:35/2/421 [pii]; 10.2134/jeq2005.0115 [doi]
Berninghaus, S., & Schwalbe, U. (1996). Evolution, interaction, and Nash equilibria. Journal of Economic Behavior &Organization, 29(1), 57-85.
Biagini, E., & Hoyle, B. S. (1999). Insularity and development : international perspectives on islands. London ; New York: Pinter.
Bimonte, S. (forthcoming). The “tragedy of tourism resources” as the outcome of a strategic game: a new analytical framework. Department of Political Economy, University of Siena.
Blaikie, P. M., & Brookfield, H. C. (1987). Land degradation and society. London ; New York: Methuen.
Botton, A. de. (2001). The consolations of philosophy (1st Vintage International ed.). New York: Vintage Books
Brubaker, E., & 20 Atlantic Institute for Market Studies. (1995). Making the oceans safe for fish : how property rights can reverse the destruction of the atlantic fisheries. Halifax, NS: Atlantic Institute for Market Studies.
Capra, F. (2007). The science of Leonardo : inside the mind of the great genius of the Renaissance (1st ed.). New York: Doubleday.
Cairns, D. K. (1992). Fisheries management on Prince Edward Island : insular autonomy or Pax Ottawa?. Charlottetown: Institute of Island Studies.
Canada. (1970). Canada. Dept. of Regional Economic Expansion, & Prince Edward Island. (1970). Development plan for Prince Edward Island : A 15 year federal-provincial program for social and economic advancement, 1970. Helen C. Abell Collection, UPEI, 1970.
- - - . (1971). Canada. Dept. of Regional Economic Expansion, & Prince Edward Island. (1971). Agreement covering development plan for Prince Edward Island, between the government of Canada and the government of Prince Edward Island March 7, 1969, amended by Amendment no.1 of June 21, 1971. Ottawa: Information Canada.
- - - . (1975). Canada. Dept. of Regional Economic Expansion & Agricultural and Rural Development Act. Developement Plan for Prince Edward Island, Dept. of Regional Economic Expansion and the Province of Prince Edward Island, 1975. 1975: Helen C. Abell Collection: UPEI.
Carlquist, S. J. (1974). Island biology. New York: Columbia University Press.
- - - . (1965). Island life: a natural history of the islands of the world (1st ed.). Garden City, N.Y.: Published for the American Museum of Natural History by the Natural History Press.
Carson, R. (1962). Silent spring. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
Cellino, A., Somma, R., Tommasi, L., Paolinetti, R., Muinonen, K., Virtanen, J., et al. (2006). NERO: General concept of a Near-Earth object Radiometric Observatory. Advances in Space Research, 37(1), 153-160.
Church, T. (2007). Spain calls halt to building on Ibiza. 8 November, 2007 | 10.38AM. http://www.beatportal.com/feed/item/spain-calls-halt-to-building-on-ibiza/
Clark, J. M. (1918). Readings in the economics of war. Chicago, IL: The University of Chicago Press.
Clow, F. R. (1893). Our Commercial Relations with the Hawaiian Islands. The Journal of Political Economy, 1(2), 280-284.
Coase, R. H. (1937). The nature of the firm. Economica, 4(16), 386-405.
Colman, A., M. (2006) “commons dilemma” ; “semantics” ; “social dilemma” A dictionary of psychology. Oxford University Press. Oxford Reference Online.
Copernicus, N. (1543). On the revolutions of the heavenly spheres [De revolutionibus orbium caelestium (literal translation: The revolutions of celstrial orbs).] (A. M. Duncan Trans.). (1976th ed.). Newton Abbot Eng.; New York: David & Charles; Barnes & Noble.
Costanza, R., Stern, D., Fisher a, B., He, L., Ma, C. (2004). Influential publications in ecological economics: a citation analysis Robert Gund Institute of Ecological Economics, The University of Vermont, Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources, Burlington, VT 05405-0088, USA Department of Economics, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY 12180-3590, USA Received 25 July 2003; received in revised form 3 June 2004; accepted 4 June 2004 Available online 1 October 2004
Corvi, R. (2006). Introduction to the thought of karl popper. Florence, KY, USA: Routledge.
Cournot, A. A. (1838). Researches into the mathematical principles of the theory of wealth. New York; London: Macmillan; Macmillan.
Cressman, R. (1996). Evolutionary Stability in the Finitely Repeated Prisoner 's Dilemma Game. Journal of Economic Theory, 68(1), 234-248.
Czárán, T. (1999). Game theory and evolutionary ecology: Evolutionary Games & Population Dynamics by J. Hofbauer and K. Sigmund, and Game Theory & Animal Behaviour, edited by L.A. Dugatkin and H.K. Reeve. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 14(6), 246-247.
Danielsson, J. (2007). The emperor has no clothes: Limits to risk modelling.
Darwin, C. (1845). Journal of the researches into the natural history and geology of the countries visited during the voyage of h.m.s. beagle round the world. From so simple a beginning: the four great books of charles darwin. Introduction, Afterword, and General Index by E.O. Wilson, 2006, 1st ed.). New York: W.W. Norton.
- - - . (1859a). On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life (A facsimile of the first edition by Wildside Press, Holicong, PA, U.S.A., 2003 ed.). London: John Murray, Albermarle Street.
- - - . (1859b). On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. From so simple a beginning: the four great books of charles darwin. Introduction, Afterword, and General Index by E.O. Wilson, 2006, 1st ed.). New York: W.W. Norton.
- - - . (1871). The descent of man, and selection in relation to sex. From so simple a beginning: the four great books of charles darwin. Introduction, Afterword, and General Index by E.O. Wilson, 2006, 1st ed.). New York: W.W. Norton.
- - - . (1872). The expressions of the emotions in man and animals. From so simple a beginning: the four great books of charles darwin. Introduction, Afterword, and General Index by E.O. Wilson, 2006, 1st ed.). New York: W.W. Norton.
- - - ., Herschel, J. F. W., Hoisington, H. R., Hoisington, H. R., & The British Admiralty. (1849). A Manual of scientific enquiry; : prepared for the use of Her Majesty's navy : and adapted for travellers in general. London: J. Murray.
- - - ., & Wilson, E. O. (2006). From so simple a beginning : the four great books of Charles Darwin (1st ed.). New York: W.W. Norton.
Descartes, R. (1637). Discourse on the method of rightly conducting the reason, and seeking truth in the sciences.(F.E. Sutcliffe English Translation, 1968). Penguin Books Ltd, Middlesex, England.
Dasgupta, P. (2007). Nature and the Economy, Journal of Applied Ecology,, 44(3), 475-487.
- - - . (2005). "Bottlenecks" (review of Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Survive, by Jared Diamond), London Review of Books, 27(10), 19 May, 21-22.
- - - . (2005b). Common Property Resources: Economic Analytics, Economic and Political Weekly, 2005, 40(16) (April 16-22), 1610-1622. Reprinted in R. Ghate, N. Jodha, and P. Mukhopadhyay, eds., Promise, Trust, and Evolution (Oxford: Oxford University Press), forthcoming, 2008.
- - - . (2005c). Uncertainty and Hyperbolic Discounting (with E.S. Maskin), American Economic Review, 2005, 95(4), 1290-1299.
- - - . (2002a). Economic Growth, Carrying Capacity, and the Environment (with K.J. Arrow, B. Bolin, R. Costanza, C. Folke, C.S. Holling, B.-O. Jansson, S. Levin, K.-G. Mäler, C. Perrings, and D. Pimentel), Science, 1995, 268(5210), 28 April, 520-1. Reprinted in Ecological Economics, 1995, 15(2), 91-95; in Ecological Applications, 1996, 6(1), February, 13-15; in Environment and Development Economics, 1996, 1(1), 104-110; and in R. Kerry Turner, K.J. Button and P. Nijkamp, eds., Ecosystems and Nature (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar).
- - - . (2002b). Food Production, Population Growth, and Environmental Security (with G. Daily, B. Bolin, P. Crosson, J. du Guerny, P. Ehrlich, C. Folke, A.-M. Jansson, B.-O. Jansson, N. Kautsky, A. Kinzig, S. Levin, K.- G. Mäler, P. Pinstrup-Andersen, and B. Walker), Science, 1998, 281, 1291-1292. Reprinted in W. Krull, ed., On the Problem of Vague Terms: A Glossary of Clearly Stated Assumptions & Careful, Patient Descriptions page 51 of 63 Debates on Issues of Our Common Future (Velbruck Wissenschaft).
- - - . (1999). The Nature of Value and the Value of Nature (with G. Daily, T. Soderqvist, S. Aniyar, K.J.Arrow, P. Ehrlich, A.M. Jansson, B.O., Jansson, N. Kautsky, S. Levin, J. Lubchenco, K.-G. Mäler, D. Simpson, D. Starrett, D. Tilman, B. Walker, Science, 289 (21 July), 395-396.
Dawkins, R. (2006). The God Delusion. New York. Houghton Mifflin Co. 406 pages.
- - - . (1998). Unweaving the rainbow : science, delusion and the appetite for wonder. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co.
- - - . (1995). A river out of eden: a darwinian view of life. New York: Basic Books. 172 pages.
- - - . (1985). The blind watchmaker (1st ed.). New York: Norton.
- - - . (1982). The extended phenotype : the gene as the unit of selection. Oxford Oxfordshire ; San Francisco: Freeman.
- - - . (1976). The selfish gene. 30th anniversary edition (2006) with a new introduction by Richard Dawkins, and the original introductions from both 1st and 2nd editions.
Demetrius, L., & Ziehe, M. (1984). The Measurement of Darwinian Fitness in Human Populations. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London.Series B, Biological Sciences, 222(1226), 33-50.
Demetrius, L., & Gundlach, V. M. (2000). Game theory and evolution: finite size and absolute fitness measures. Mathematical Biosciences, 168(1), 9-38.
Demetrius, L., Matthias Gundlach, V., & Ziehe, M. (2007). Darwinian fitness and the intensity of natural selection: Studies in sensitivity analysis. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 249(4), 641-653.
Demetrius, L., & Ziehe, M. (2007). Darwinian fitness. Theoretical Population Biology, 72(3), 323-345.
Denslow, J. S. (2001). The ecology of insular biotas. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 16(8), 423-424. The Ecology of Insular Biotas conference was held at Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, from 12–16 February 2001.
Dewailly, É, Ayotte, P., Lucas, M., & Blanchet, C. (2007). Risk and benefits from consuming salmon and trout: A Canadian perspective. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 45(8), 1343-1348.
DOD. (2001). Joint Publication 1-02 Department of defense dictionary of military and associated terms (JP 1-02). 12 April 2001 (As Amended Through 04 March 2008).
DORN, D., FISCHER, J., KIRCHGA, G., SOUSA-POZA, A. Is it culture or democracy? - the impact of democracy, income, and culture on happiness. Swiss Institute for International Economics and Applied Econonomic Research (SIAW). University of St. Gallen Eastern Caribbean Natural Area Management Program, Putney, A. D., Caribbean Conservation Association, & University of Michigan. School of Natural Resources. (1980). Survey of conservation priorities in the Lesser Antilles ... preliminary data atlas. St. Croix, U.S.V.I.: The Program.
Economic Geography. (1925). Economic Geography, 1(1).
Einstein, A. (1954). Ideas and opinions : Based on mein weltbild. New York: Crown Publishers.
- - - . (1939). Letter to F.D. Roosevelt, President of the United States. Dated: August 2nd, 1939. Public Domain.
Ekelund, R. B., & Hébert, R. F. (1997). A history of economic theory and method (4th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
Fehr, E., & Fischbacher, U. (2004). Third-party punishment and social norms. Evolution and Human Behavior, 25(2), 63- 87.
Fehr, E., & Rockenbach, B. (2004). Human altruism: economic, neural, and evolutionary perspectives. Current Opinion in Neurobiology, 14(6), 784-790.
Fehr, E., & Schmidt, K. M. (1999). A Theory Of Fairness, Competition, and Cooperation*. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 114(3), 817-868.
Fehr, E., & Fischbacher, U. (2004). Social norms and human cooperation. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 8(4), 185-190.
Fehr, E., & Gachter, S. (2000). Fairness and retaliation: the economics of reciprocity, Journal of Economic Perspectives, Volume 14, number 3, summer 2000, pp 159-181.
Fitzgerald, F. S. (1934). Tender is the night, a romance. New York: C. Scribner's sons.
Fosberg, F. R., & 20 National Academy of Sciences. (1970). Man's place in the island ecosystem; a symposium. Honolulu: Bishop Museum Press.
Frey, B. S. (1983). Democratic economic policy : a theoretical introduction. New York: St. Martin's Press.
- - - . (1997). Not just for the money : an economic theory of personal motivation. Cheltenham, UK ; Brookfield, Vt.: Edward Elgar Pub.
- - - . (2000). Why Economists Disregard Economic Methodology. Institut für Empirische Wirtschaftsforschung, Universität Zürich.
- - - . (2002). Publishing as Prostitution? Choosing Between One‘s Own Ideas and Academic Failure. Published in: Public Choice Vol. 116, 2003, 205-223: Institut für Empirische Wirtschaftsforschung, Universität Zürich.
- - - ., Benesch, C., & Stutzer, A. (2005). Does watching tv make us happy? Journal of Economic Psychology, 28(3), 283-313.
- - - ., & Eichenberger, R. (1992). The Political economy of stabilization programmes in developing countries. Paris: OECD Development Centre.
- - - ., & Bohnet, I. (1997). Identification in democratic society. Journal of Socio-Economics, 26(1), 25-38.
- - - ., & Stutzer, A. (2000). Happiness, Economy and Institutions. The Economic Journal, 110(466), 918-938.
Fuller, S. (2003). Kuhn vs. Popper. Cambridge, UK: Icon Books, Ltd.
Funk, M. (2008a). On the Problem of Sustainable Economic Development I - The Funk-Zweikampf Solution to this Prisoner's Dilemma - Introducing a Unified Theory of Value for the Biological and Social Sciences in an Open Letter to the Åland International Institute of Comparative Island Studies. AICIS. Published online 8 June 2008: http://www.aicis.ax/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=18
- - - . (2008b). On the Problem of Connectivity: Branding Insularity. A seminar delivered 11 June 2008, 1:00 p.m., at the Åland International Institute of Comparative Island Studies 2nd Annual Conference, “Islands of Competence: Branding Identities in a Globalized World”, The Parliamentary Building, Mariehamn, Åland.
- - - . (2008c). On the Problem of Sustainable Economic Development II - The Funk-Zweikampf Solution to this Prisoner's Dilemma: Introducing a Unified Theory of Value for the Biological and Social Sciences in an Open Letter to Partha Dasgupta. Funk Island Trust.
- - - . (2008d). On the Problem of The Island of Earth - Introducing a Unified Theory of Value for the Biological and Social Sciences in an Open Letter to the President of the United States. Dated 4 July 2008, mailed via FEDEX 26 July 2008, from The Union League Club, Room 1602, Chicago, IL, 60604, The United States of America. Delivered 12:25, 29 July 2008 and signed for by J. Casey. Funk Island Trust.
- - - . (2008f). On the problem of vague terms: A glossary of clearly stated assumptions & careful, patient descriptions. Funk Island Trust.
- - - . (2008g). On the Problem of Sustainable Economic Development III – An Evolutionary Stable Strategy for The King of Spain & the President of the Balaeric Islands. Funk Island Trust.
- - - . (2007a). On the problem of hollywood economics: de vany's error—george lucas knows something. Funk Island Trust.
- - - . (2007b). On the problem of global warming: a brief history of a new & unpopular theory in an open letter to john gillis. Funk Island Trust.
- - - . (2007c). On the problem of dependent people: natural resource valuation errors in atlantic canadian island jurisdictions. Funk Island Trust.
- - - . (2007d). Personal Correspondence. From: Matt Funk <Mfunk@upei.ca>, To: Doherty, Peter, Sent: Sun Oct 28 20:44:21 2007, Subject: Thomas Kuhn & Karl Popper
- - - . (forthcoming). On the problem of global warming: a solution for william funk, albert gore and richard branson. Funk Island Trust.
Girvan, N., Unicef, & Consortium Graduate School of Social Sciences. (1997). Poverty, empowerment and social development in the Caribbean. Kingston, Jamaica: Canoe Press University of the West Indies.
Gold, E., Letalik, N. G., Mitchell, C. L., & 20 Dalhousie Ocean Studies Programme. (1982). Problems of development and ocean management in the Eastern Caribbean : economic, legal, environmental and planning aspects : proceedings of an international seminar held in Kingstown, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, West Indies, May 11-13, 1981. Halifax: Dalhousie Ocean Studies Programme.
Gold, R. E. (2001). SHIELD: a comprehensive earth-protection architecture. Advances in Space Research, 28(8), 1149-1158.
Goldsmith, F. B. (1973). The ecologist's role in development for tourism: a case study in the Caribbean. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 5(3), 265-287.
Gordon, H. S. (1954). The economic theory of a common-property resource: The Fishery. The Journal of Political Economy, 62(2), 124-142.
Gorman, M. (1979). How many species? Island Ecology, London, Chapman and Hall, pp. 22-32.
Gould, S. J. (2002). The structure of evolutionary theory. Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.
- - - . (1977). Ever since Darwin : reflections in natural history (1st ed.). New York: Norton.
Greenwood, R. (1998). Dependency and Development in Prince Edward Island, a chapter from Competing strategies of socioeconomic development for small islands. Charlottetown, P.E.I.: IIS, UPEI.
Grant, P. R., & Royal Society. Discussion Meeting. (1998). Evolution on islands. Oxford ; New York: Oxford University Press.
Gray, A. M. (1989). Warfighting. MCDP 1. 1997 edition with introduction by C. C. Krulak, General, U.S. Marine Corps, Commandant of the Marine Corps. DISTRIBUTION: 142 000006 00.
Greenleaf S. S., and Kremen, C. (2006). Wild bees enhance honey bees’ pollination of hybrid sunflower. Published online on August 29, 2006, 10.1073/pnas.
GREHAN, J. (2001). Biogeography and evolution of the Galapagos: integration of the biological and geological evidence. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 74(3), 267-287.
Grossman, L. S. (1998). The political ecology of bananas : contract farming, peasants, and agrarian change in the eastern Caribbean. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
Hagen, E., & Hammerstein, P. (2006). Game theory and human evolution: A critique of some recent interpretations of experimental games. Theoretical Population Biology, 69(3), 339-348.
Haldane, J. B. S. (1932). The causes of evolution. London: Longman.
Hammerstein, P. (1994). Darwinian adaptation, population genetics and the streetcar theory of evolution. Journal of Mathematical Biology, in press.
- - - ., & Hagen, E. H. (2005). The second wave of evolutionary economics in biology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 20(11), 604-609.
Hardin, G. (1968). The tragedy of the commons. Science 162, 1243-1248.
Hardin, G. (1998). Extensions of “The tragedy of the commons.” Science 280: 682-683.
Hawking, S.W. (2008). TED. Stephen hawking: Asking big questions about the universe. Recorded February 2008.
- - - . (1988). A brief history of time : from the big bang to black holes. Toronto ; New York: Bantam Books.
- - - ., & Shiga, D. (2008). Stephen hawking calls for moon and mars colonies. NewScientist.com. Posted: 23:56 21 April 2008.
Hayek, F. A. von. (1982). Law, legislation and liberty : A new statement of the liberal principles of justice and political economy. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- - - . (1979). The counter-revolution of science : studies on the abuse of reason (2nd ed.). Indianapolis: Liberty Press.
- - - . (1974a). Sveriges Riksbank Prize Banquet Speech, December 10, 1974. Nobel.org.
- - - . (1974b). The pretense of knowledge. Sveriges Riksbank Prize Lecture. Nobel.org
- - - . (1960). The constitution of liberty (1978 ed.). London: Routledge.
- - - . (1945). The Use of Knowledge in Society. The American Economic Review, 35(4), 519-530.
- - - . (1944). The road to serfdom (2001 ed.). London ; New York: Routledge Classics.
- - - . (1944). Scientism and the Study of Society. Part II. Economica, 11(41), 27-39.
- - - . (1943a). Scientism and the Study of Society. Part I Economica, 10(37), 34-63.
- - - . (1943b). The Facts of the Social Sciences. Ethics, 54(1), 1-13.
- - - . (1941). The Counter-Revolution of Science. Economica, 8(29), 9-36.
- - - . (1934). Carl Menger. Economica, 1(4), 393-420.
- - - . (1933). The Trend of Economic Thinking. Economica, (40), 121-137.
- - - ., Bartley, W., & Kresge, S. (1991). The trend of economic thinking : Essays on political economists and economic history. University of Chicago.
- - - ., & Bartley, W. (1988). The fatal conceit : the errors of socialism. London: Routledge. Hector, A., & Bagchi, R. (2007). Biodiversity and ecosystem multifunctionality. Vol 448, 12 July 2007, doi:10.1038/nature05947.
Helferich, G. (2004). Humboldt's cosmos : Alexander von Humboldt and the Latin American journey that changed the way we see the world. New York: Gotham Books.
Hess, C. (2000). "Is There Anything New Under the Sun? A Discussion and Survey of Studies on New Commons and the Internet." Presented at "Constituting the Commons: Crafting Sustainable Commons in the New Millenium", the Eighth Conference of the International Association for the Study of Common Property, Bloomington, Indiana, USA, May 31-June 4.
Hines, W. G. S., & Smith, J. M. (1979). Games between relatives. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 79(1), 19-30.
Hinterland. (2008). Hinterland who's who - caribou. Retrieved 8/13/2008, 2008, from http://www.hww.ca/hww2.asp?id=85
Hitchens, C. (2007). God is not great: how religion poisons everything Twelve Books Published May 1, 2007,
Hofbauer, J., & Weibull, J. (1996). Evolutionary Selection against Dominated Strategies. Journal of Economic Theory, 71(2), 558-573.
Huang, X., Hites, R. A., Foran, J. A., Hamilton, C., Knuth, B. A., Schwager, S. J., et al. (2006). Consumption advisories for salmon based on risk of cancer and noncancer health effects. Environmental Research, 101(2), 263-274.
Hume, D. (1739). A Treatise of human nature: being an attempt to introduce the experimental method of reasoning into moral subjects.
Ignatieff, M. (2004). Political ethics in the age of terror: the lesser evil. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press.
Isaacson, W. (2007). The world needs more rebels like einstein: how nonconformity, not rote learning, unlocked his genius.
Jarvis, D. I., Brown, A. H. D., Cuong, P. H., Collado-Panduro, L., Latournerie-Moreno, L., Gyawali S., Tanto, T.,Sawadogo, M., Mar, Istvan., Sadiki, M., Thi-Ngoc Hue, N., Arias-Reyes, L., Bajracharya, D. J., Castillo, F., Rijal, D., Belqadi, L., Rana, R., Saidi, S., Ouedraogo, J., Zangre, R., Rhrib, K., Chavez, J. L., Schoen, D., Sthapit, B., De Santis, P., Fadda, C., & Hodgkin, T. (2008). A global perspective of the richness and evenness of traditional crop-variety diversity maintained by farming communities. “Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America”. PNAS. Published online on March 24, 2008
Jarvie, I. C., & Pralong, S. (1999). Popper's Open society after fifty years. London ; New York: Routledge.
Jedicke, R., Morbidelli, A., Spahr, T., Petit, J., & Bottke, W. F. (2003). Earth and space-based NEO survey simulations: prospects for achieving the spaceguard goal. Icarus, 161(1), 17-33.
Jefferson, Thomas. (1776). The Declaration of Independence.
Kant, I. (1881). Critique of pure reason [Kritik der reinen Vernunft.] (F. M. Müller Trans.). London: Macmillan.
Keynes, J. M. (1936). The general theory of employment, interest and money. London: Macmillan and Co.
- - - . (1920). The economic consequences of the peace. The 2nd printing 2004th ed. New Brunswick, New Jersey: Transaction Publishers. Originally published by Harcourt, Brace, and Howe, Inc.
Kiel, L.D., & Elliott, E.W. (1996). Chaos theory in the social sciences: foundations and applications. University of Michigan Press.
Kirzner, I. M. (2006). The Austrian Economists: Lifetime Achievement Award to Professor Israel M. Kirzner.
Kobayashi, Y., Hammerstein, P., & Telschow, A. (2008). The neutral effective migration rate in a mainland-island context. Theoretical Population Biology, 74(1), 84-92.
Köhler, M., Moyà-Solà, S., & Wrangham, R. W. (2008). Island rules cannot be broken. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 23(1), 6-7.
Kuang, W., & Bloxham, J. (1997). An earth-like numerical dynamo model.
Kuhn, T. S. (1962). The structure of scientific revolutions. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Kurlansky, M. (1997). Cod : a biography of the fish that changed the world. New York: Walker and Co.
Lackey, Robert T. 2004. Normative science. Fisheries. 29(7): 38-39.National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Synopsis of a talk presented at the Symposium “Science in the Public Arena: The How and Why of Scientific Decision-Making” at the Annual Meeting of the Western Division of the American Fisheries Society, Salt Lake City, Utah, February 29 - March 4, 2004.Lackey, senior fisheries biologist, is with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in Corvallis,Oregon. He is also professor of fisheries science and adjunct professor of political science at Oregon State University. http://oregonstate.edu/~lackeyr/Recent%20Publications.html
Larkin, M. (1990). Our way of living : survival strategies in lobster fishing households in Prince Edward Island. St John's: Memorial University.
Laskar, J. (1990). The chaotic motion of the solar system: A numerical estimate of the size of the chaotic zones. Icarus, 88(2), 266-291.
Laszlo, E., & Loye, D. (1998). The evolutionary outrider : the impact of the human agent on evolution : essays honouring Ervin Laszlo. Westport, Conn.: Praeger.
Laughlin, J. L. (1892). The study of political economy in the united states. The Journal of Political Economy, 1(1), 1-19.
Laxness, Halldór.. (1946). Independent people : An epic [Sjálfstætt fólk.] . New York: A. A. Knopf.
Lockhart, D., & Drakakis-Smith, D. (1991). Environmental and economic issues in small island development. S.L.: Commonwealth Foundation.
Lorius, C., Jouzel, J., Raynaud, D., Hansen, J. & Le Treut, H. (1990). The ice-core record: Climate sensitivity and future greenhouse warming.
Lowenstein, R. (2000). When genius failed : The Rise and Fall of Long Term Capital Management (1st ed.). New York: Random House.
Lenton, T.M., Held, H., Kriegler, , E., Hall, J.W., Lucht, W., Rahmstorf, S., & Schellnhuber, H.J. Tipping elements in the Earth's climate system. Published online February 7, 2008, 10.1073/pnas.0705414105. Edited by William C. Clark, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, and approved November 21, 2007 (received for review June 8,2007). PNAS
Lewellen, T. C. (1995). Dependency and development : an introduction to the Third World. Westport, Conn.: Bergin & Garvey.
Leggett, M. (2006). An indicative costed plan for the mitigation of global risks. Futures, 38(7), 778-809.
Llewelyn-Davies, Weeks, et. al. (1970) Mustique development plan.
Lloyd, William Forster. (1833). Two lectures on the checks to population, delivered before the University of Oxford, in Michaelmas Term 1832. Republished as W. F. Lloyd on the Checks to Population. Population and Development Review, Vol. 6, No. 3, Sep., 1980, pp. 473-496. Lovelock, J., & Whitfield, M. (1982). Life span of the biosphere.
Ludwig, D., Hilborn, R., & Walters, C. (1993). Uncertainty, Resource Exploitation, and Conservation: Lessons from History. Ecological Applications, 3(4), 548-549. Also: Science 260(2):17, April 2, 1993
MacArthur, R. H., & Wilson, E. O. (1967). The theory of island biogeography. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press.
Mackay, C. (1841). Extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of crowds. 1967 edition: Extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of crowds with facsim. title pages and reproductions of original illus. from the editions of 1841 and 1852. Wells, N.J.: Fraser Publ. Co.
Marrow, P., Johnstone, R., & Hurst, L. (1996). Riding the evolutionary streetcar: where population genetics and game theory meet. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 11(11), 445-446.
Maxwell, J. C. (1873). Nature 7, March 27, 1873, p. 400: Review of Thomson’s & Taite’s Elements of natural Philosophy.
Malhotra, R. (1994). Nonlinear resonances in the solar system. Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena, 77(1-3), 289-304.
Mankiw. (2002) Principles of Macroeconomics.
Marrow, P., Johnstone, R., & Hurst, L. (1996). Riding the evolutionary streetcar: where population genetics and game theory meet. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 11(11), 445-446.
Marshall, A. (1890). Principles of economics (Second ed., 1891). London and New York: Macmillan and Co.
Mauer, S. B., & Tucker, A. W. (1983). An Interview with Albert W. Tucker. The Two-Year College Mathematics Journal, 14(3), 210-224.
May, R. M., & McLean, A. R. (2007). Theoretical ecology : principles and applications. Oxford ; New York: Oxford University Press.
Maynard Smith, J. (1982). Evolution and the theory of games. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- - - . (1975). The theory of evolution (3rd ed.). Harmondsworth ; Baltimore etc.: Penguin.
- - - . (1994). Must reliable signals always be costly? Animal Behaviour, 47(5), 1115-1120.
- - - . (1971). What use is sex? Journal of Theoretical Biology, 30(2), 319-335.
- - - . (1974). The theory of games and the evolution of animal conflicts. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 47(1), 209-221.
- - - . (1982). Do animals convey information about their intentions? Journal of Theoretical Biology, 97(1), 1-5.
- - - . (1988). Can a mixed strategy be stable in a finite population? Journal of Theoretical Biology, 130(2), 247-251.
- - - ., & Price, G. (1973). The logic of animal conflict. Nature 246: 15 - 18.
- - - . (1976). A short-term advantage for sex and recombination through sib-competition. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 63(2), 245-258.
- - - . (1977). Parental investment: A prospective analysis. Animal Behaviour, 25(Part 1), 1-9.
- - - . (1978). In defence of models. Animal Behaviour, 26(Part 2), 632-633.
- - - . (1980). Models of the evolution of altruism. Theoretical Population Biology, 18(2), 151-159.
- - - . (1987). On the equality of origin and fixation times in genetics. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 128(2), 247-252.
- - - ., & Hofbauer, J. (1987). The “battle of the sexes”: A genetic model with limit cycle behavior. Theoretical Population Biology, 32(1), 1-14.
- - - ., & Parker, G. A. (1976). The logic of asymmetric contests. Animal Behaviour, 24(1), 159-175.
- - - ., & Harper, D. G. C. (1995). Animal Signals: Models and Terminology. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 177(3), 305-311.
Mayr, E. (1991). One long argument : Charles Darwin and the genesis of modern evolutionary thought. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
- - - . (1988). Toward a new philosophy of biology : observations of an evolutionist. Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.
- - - . (1976). Evolution and the diversity of life. Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap Press.
- - - . (1963). Animal species and evolution. Cambridge: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.
- - - ., & Provine, W. (1980). The Evolutionary synthesis : perspectives on the unification of biology. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
McNamara, J., Binmore, K., & Houston, A. (2006). Cooperation should not be assumed. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 21(9), 476-478.
Mearsheimer, J., J. (2006a). “China's Unpeaceful Rise,” Current History, Vol. 105, No. 690 (April 2006), pp. 160-162.
- - - . (2006b). “Conversations in international relations - interview with john j. mearsheimer” (Part II)," International Relations, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 231-243.
- - - . (2006c). “Conversations in international relations - interview with john j. mearsheimer (Part I)," International Relations, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 105-124.
- - - . (2001). The tragedy of great power politics. New York, NY: Norton. First published as a Norton paperback in 2003,6th printing.
- - - ., & Walt, S. (2007). The israel lobby and u.s. foreign policy. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
Menger, C. (1883). Problems of economics and sociology (untersuchungen über die methode der socialwissenschaften und der politischen oekonomie insbesondere). 1963 edition. Urbana: University of Illinois Press.
- - - ., & Hayek, F. A. (1871). Principles of economics [Grundsatze der Volkswirthschaftslehre] (J. Dingwall, B. F. Hoselitz Trans.). (1976th ed.). Introduction by F.A. von Hayek. New York: Ludwig von Mises Institute.
Milinski, M., Sommerfeld, R.D., Krambeck, H., Reed, F.A., &
Marotzke, J. (2008).The collective-risk social dilemma and the prevention of simulated dangerous climate change.Edited by Robert May, Oxford University, Oxford, United Kingdom, and approved December 18, 2007 (received for review October 8, 2007). PSAS – February 19th, 2008 – vol. 105 – No. 7 – 2291-2294.
Monbiot, G. (2008). Bring on the apocolypse. Toronto: Anchor Books.
Morgenthau, H., & Thompson, K. (1985). Politics among nations. 6th edition. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Myerson, R. (2007). FUNDAMENTAL THEORY OF INSTITIONS: A LECTURE IN HONOR OF LEO HURWICZ.
- - - . (1991). Game theory : analysis of conflict. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.
- - - . (1984). Two-Person Bargaining Problems with Incomplete Information. Econometrica, 52(2), 461-487.
Nagarajan, P. (2006a). Collapse of easter island: lessons for sustainability of small islands.
- - - . (2006b). The Near Collapse of Nauru: harbingers unsustainability of small islands without a shift in development paradigms. Paper presented at the Islands of the World IX Conference, Kahului, Maui, July 31-August 2, 2006.
Nash, J. (1953). Two-person cooperative games. Econometrica, 21(1), 128-140.
- - - . (1951). Non-ooperative games. The Annals of Mathematics, 54(2), 286-295.
- - - . (1950). Non-cooperative games. An online archive of a facsimile of a typewritten Ph.D. thesis submitted to the Mathematics Department, Princeton University.
- - -. (1950b). Equilibrium points in n-person games. Proceedings National Academy of Sciences 36: 48 - 49.
- - -. (1950c). The bargaining problem. Econometrica 18: 155 - 162.
Neumann, J. & Morgenstern, O. (1944). Theory of games and economic behaviour. (60th anniversary ed., 2004), Princeton, N.J. ; Woodstock: Princeton University Press. Introduction by Harold W. Kuhn. Afterword by Ariel Rubinstein.
Nietzsche, F. (1882). The Gay Science.
Nordvarg, L., & Håkanson, L. (2002). Predicting the environmental response of fish farming in coastal areas of the Åland archipelago (Baltic Sea) using management models for coastal water planning. Aquaculture, 206(3-4), 217- 243.
North, D. C. (2007). Corporate Leadership in an Uncertain World.
- - - . (no date). Economics and Cognitive Science. Unpublished working paper.
Nunn, Patrick D. (2004). ‘Through a Mist in the Ocean: Human Understanding of Island Environments’, Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Vol. 95, No. 3, pp. 311-325. [Whole Special Issue of TESG available in hard copy from the Circulation Desk only]
Okwi, P.O., Ndeng'e, G., Kristjanson, P., Arunga, M., Notenbaert, A., Omolo, A., Henninger, N., Benson, T., Kariuki, P., & Owuor, J. (2007). Spatial determinants of poverty in rural Kenya. Published online on October 17, 2007. PNAS | October 23, 2007 | vol. 104 | no. 43
Oppenheimer, R. J. (1955). The open mind. First printing of 1st ed. (hardback with dust jacket). New York: Simon & Schuster.
Parenteau, B. (2004). A 'Very Determined Opposition to the Law': Conservation, Angling Leases, and Social Conflict in the Canadian Atlantic Salmon Fishery, 1867-1914. Environmental History, 9(3), 436-463.
Parker, G. A. (1974). Assessment strategy and the evolution of fighting behaviour. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 47(1), 223-243.
- - - . (1983). Arms races in evolution—An ESS to the opponent-independent costs game. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 101(4), 619-648.
Parker, G. A. (1985). Models of parent-offspring conflict. V. Effects of the behaviour of the two parents. Animal Behaviour, 33(2), 519-533.
Parker, G. A., & Knowlton, N. (1980). The evolution of territory size—some ESS models. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 84(3), 445-476.
Parker, G. A., & Macnair, M. R. (1978). Models of parent-offspring conflict. I. Monogamy. Animal Behaviour, 26(Part 1), 97-110.
Parker, G. A., & Macnair, M. R. (1979). Models of parent- offspring conflict. IV. Suppression: Evolutionary retaliation by the parent. Animal Behaviour, 27(Part 4), 1210-1235.
Parker, G. A., & Rubenstein, D. I. (1981). Role assessment, reserve strategy, and acquisition of information in asymmetric animal conflicts. Animal Behaviour, 29(1), 221-240.
PARKER, P. G., WAITE, T. A., & DECKER, M. D. (1995). Kinship and association in communally roosting black vultures. Animal Behaviour, 49(2), 395-401.
Pearse, P. H. (1988). Property Rights and the Development of Natural Resource Policies in Canada. Canadian Public Policy / Analyse De Politiques, 14(3), 307-320.
Popper, K. R. (1999). All life is problem solving [Alles Leben ist Problemlo"sen.] . London ; New York: Routledge.
- - - . (1944). The Poverty of Historicism, I. Economica, 11(42), 86-103.
- - - . (1944b). The Poverty of Historicism, II. A Criticism of Historicist Methods. Economica, 11(43), 119-137.
- - - . (1945). The Poverty of Historicism, III. Economica, 12(46), 69-89.
- - - . (1945). The Poverty of Historicism. 2002 ed. Florence, KY, USA: Routledge.
- - - . (1945). The open society and its enemies. Vols. I & II, London: G. Routledge & Sons, Ltd.
- - - . (1956). ON THE NON-EXISTENCE OF SCIENTIFIC METHOD. (preface from 1956 edition, Vol. I of the Postscript to 1983 edition of The Logic of Scientific Discovery edited by W.W. Bartley III ed., ). London: Routledge.
- - - . (1962). Conjectures and refutations : The growth of scientific knowledge (First Edition Preface from the 1963 Routledge edition ed.).
- - - . (1963). Conjectures and refutations : The growth of scientific knowledge (Originally published: 5th ed., rev. London ; New York : 2002. ed.). London ; New York: Routledge Classics.
- - - . (1992). In search of a better world [Auf der Suche nach einer besseren Welt.] (Laura J. Bennett, with additional material by Melitta Mew Trans.). London ; New York: Routledge.
- - - - . (1956). Realism and the aim of science (1983, including Popper's introduction from the 1982 edition and Popper's preface from 1956 edition ed.). London: Routledge.
- - - . (1959). The Logic of Scientific Discovery [Logik der Forschung, 1935, Vienna, Austria] . London ; New York: Routledge.
- - - . (1974). Unended Quest. 2002. ed. London: Routledge Classics.
Popper, K. R., & Bartley, W. W. (1956). Realism and the aim of science (1983, including Popper's introduction from the 1982 edition and Popper's preface from 1956 edition ed.). London: Routledge.
Ramaekers, S. (2006). No Harm Done: The implications for educational research of the rejection of truth. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 40(2), 241-257.
Rampino, M. R. (2002). Supereruptions as a threat to civilizations on earth-like planets. Icarus, 156(2), 562-569.
Reddingius, J. (1972). Gambling for existence. A discussion of some theoretical problems in animal population ecology. Leiden: Brill.
Schuyler, G. W., & Veltmeyer, H. (1987). Rethinking Caribbean development. Halifax, N. S.: International Education Centre, St. Mary's University.
Seager, H. R. (1893). Economics at Berlin and Vienna. The Journal of Political Economy, 1(2), 236-262.
Seamon, D., & Zajonc, A. (1998). Goethe's way of science : a phenomenology of nature. Albany: State University of New York Press.
Reichenbach, H. (1966a). Experience and prediction ; an analysis of the foundations and the structure of knowledge. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- - - . (1966b). Erkenntnis 1, 1930.
- - - . (1965). The theory of relativity and a priori knowledge. Berkeley: University of California Press.
Reichenbach, H., Hutten, E. H., & Reichenbach, M. (1971). The theory of probability : an inquiry into the logical and mathematical foundations of the calculus of probability (2nd ed.). Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
Rowbottom, D. P., & Aiston, S. J. (2006). The Myth of 'Scientific Method' in Contemporary Educational Research. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 40(2), 137-156.
Robinson, J. (1962). What are the rules of the game? Chapter in Economic philosophy (1983 ed.). Singapore: Penguin Books.
Russell, B., (1903). Foundations of logic. (1994 Edition, with Urquhart, A., & Lewis, A.C.). London ; New York: Routledge.
- - - . (1913). Theory of knowledge. (1984 Edition:Theory of knowledge : the 1913 manuscript. London ; Boston: G. Allen & Unwin.
- - - . (1915). Our knowledge of the external world as a field for scientific method in philosophy. Chicago: Open Court.
- - - . (1919). Introduction to mathematical philosophy (1950 ed.). London: G. Allen and Unwin.
- - - . (1928). Sceptical essays. London: G. Allen & Unwin.
- - - . (1931). Why i am not a christian. London: Watts
- - - . (1932). Education and the modern world. New York: W.W. Norton & Company, Inc.
- - - . (1940). An inquiry into meaning and truth. London: Allen and Unwin.
- - - . (1945). A history of western philosophy, and its connection with political and social circumstances from the earliest times to the present day. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- - - . (1953). The impact of science on society. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- - - . (1948). Human knowledge, its scope and limits. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- - - . (1949). Authority and the individual. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- - - . (1956). Logic and knowledge : essays, 1901-1950. New York: Macmillan.
- - - . (1962). Has man a future?. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- - - . (2001). The scientific outlook. London ; New York: Routledge.
Schabas, M. (2005). The natural origins of economics. 2007th paperback ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- - - . (1990). A world ruled by number : william stanley jevons and the rise of mathematical economics. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press.
Schelling, T. C. (2005). Sveriges Riksbank Prize Lecture in the memory of Alfred Nobel: An astonishing sixty years: the legacy of hiroshima. 8 December 2005.
- - - . (1960). The strategy of conflict. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
Schuyler, G. W., & Veltmeyer, H. (1987). Rethinking caribbean development. Halifax, N. S.: International Education Centre, St. Mary's University.
Seager, H. R. (1893). Economics at Berlin and Vienna. The Journal of Political Economy, 1(2), 236-262.
Seneca. (c. 60 A.D.). On the shortness of life. C. D. N. Costa Trans. 2005th ed. Penguin Books.
Shiller, R. J. (2000). Irrational exuberance (2nd, 2005 ed.). Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press.
Slocum, J. (1900). Sailing alone around the world. Adlard Coles Ltd, (1948 edition). Printed by Fletcher & Sons, Norwich, Great Britain. Introduction by Arthur Ransome July 1947.
Smith, A. (1776). An inquiry into the nature and cuases of the wealth of nations (2000 ed.). Modern Library Paperbacks.
Smith, V. L. (2002). Constructivist and Ecological Rationality in Economics.
Smith, W. P. (2005). Evolutionary diversity and ecology of endemic small mammals of southeastern Alaska with implications for land management planning. Landscape and Urban Planning, 72(1-3), 135-155.
Sokal, A. D. (2008). Beyond the hoax: science, philosophy, and culture. New York: Oxford University Press.
- - - . (1996a). A physicist experiments with cultural studies.
- - - . (1996b). A plea for reason, evidence and logic.
- - - . (1996c). Transgressing the boundaries: An afterword.
- - - . (1996d). Transgressing the boundaries: Toward a transformative hermeneutics of quantum gravity. Social Text, (46/47, Science Wars), 217-252.
Somit, A., & Peterson, S. A. (1992). The Dynamics of evolution : the punctuated equilibrium debate in the natural and social sciences. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
Soros, G. (2006). Europe as a prototype for a global open society.
Stewart, G. (1925). A Land Policy for the Public Domain. Economic Geography, 1(1), 89-106.
Szathmáry, E., & Smith, J. M. (1993). The Evolution of Chromosomes II. Molecular Mechanisms. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 164(4), 447-454.
Stigler, G. J. (1982a). Sveriges Riksbank Prize Banquet Speech.
- - - . (1982b). Sveriges Riksbank Prize lecture: The process and progress of economics.
Stiglitz, J. E. (2001a). Sveriges Riksbank Prize autobiography.
- - - . (2001b). Sveriges Riksbank Prize lecture: Information and the change in the paradigm in economics.
Story, J. (1840). A familiar exposition of the constitution of the united states. By Joseph Story, Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court 1811-1845. Foreword by Edwin Meese III. Harper: New York. Entered, according to Act of Congress, in the year 1840, by MARSH, CAPEN, LYON, AND WEBB, In the Clerk’s Office of the District Court of Massachusets: TO THE PEOPLE OF THE COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS, THIS WORK, DESIGNED TO AID THE CAUSE OF EDUCATTION, AND TO PROMOTE AND ENCOURAGE THE STUDY OF THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES, BY HER INGENUOUS YOUTH, IS RESPECTFULLY DEDICATED, BY ONE WHO GRATEFULLY ACKNOWLEDGES, THAT HER TERRITORY IS THE LAND OF HIS BIRH, AND THE HOME OF HIS CHOICE, THE AUTHOR, Cambridge, January 1840. (1997 Conservative Book Club edition, © 1986 Regnery Gateway: Lake Bluff, IL, U.S.A.).
Tarski, A. (1941). Introduction to logic and to the methodology of deductive sciences (3rd revis ed., 1965). New York: OxfordUniversity Press.
Tate, J. (2000). Avoiding collisions: the Spaceguard Foundation. Space Policy, 16(4), 261-265.
Thomas-Hope, E. M., & Goodbody, I. (2002). Natural resource management for sustainable development in the Caribbean. Kingston, Jamaica: Canoe Press.
Towns, D. R., Daugherty, C. H., Drake, D. R., & Mulder, C. P. H. (2002). Insular biotas (Special issue ed.) Travelers' Checks: Hotels closing on Hawaii's Molokai.
Treverton, G., Jones, S. (2005). Measuring national power. Published 2005 by the RAND Corporation 1776 Main Street, P.O. Box 2138, Santa Monica, CA 90407-2138. RAND URL: http://www.rand.org/. The proceedings described in this report were hosted by the RAND National Security Research Division, which conducts research and analysis for the Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Joint Staff, the Unified Commands, the defense agencies, the Department of the Navy, the U.S. intelligence community, allied foreign governments, and foundations. Approved for public release; distribution unlimited. The RAND Corporation is a nonprofit research organization providing objective analysis and effective solutions that address the challenges facing the public and private sectors around the world. RAND’s publications do not necessarily reflect the opinions of its research clients and sponsors. To order RAND documents or to obtain additional information, contact Distribution Services: Telephone: (310) 451-7002; Fax: (310) 451-6915; Email: email@example.com ISBN: 0-8330-3798-6
Tucker, A. W. (1983). The Mathematics of Tucker: A Sampler. The Two-Year College Mathematics Journal, 14(3), 228-232.
Tucker, A.W.. (1950). A two*person dilemma. Unpublished notes, Stanford University, May 1950. UN. (1984). Planning for sustainable development : guidelines for island developing countries (2nd , rev ed.). New York: United Nations.
Vitousek, P. M., Loope, L. L., & Adsersen, H. (1995). Islands : biological diversity and ecosystem function. New York: Springer-Verlag. Waismann, F., Menger, K., & Benac, T. J. (1959). Introduction to mathematical thinking : the formation of concepts in modern mathematics. New York: Harper.
Wakano, J. Y. (2007). Evolution of cooperation in spatial public goods games with common resource dynamics. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 247(4), 616-622.
Wallace, A. R. (1880). Island life (1892nd ed.). London: Macmillan and Co.
Weibull, J. (2002). What have we learned from evolutionary game theory so far? Stockholm, Sweden: Institute for International Economic Studies. This issay is composed of notes for an invited talk held 30 August 1997 at the Econoetric Society European Meeting in Toulouse. - - - . (1998). Evolution, rationality and equilibrium in games. European Economic Review, 42(3-5), 641-649. - - - . (1994). Evolutionary Game Theory. Cambridge: The MIT Press. Wexler, Y., & Rokhlenko, O. (2007). Prisoner's dilemma posed by fitness-associated recombination strategies. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 247(1), 1-10.
Wieser, F. (1893). Natural value [Natürliche Werth.]. London: Macmillan & Co. Reprinted 1989 by Augustus M. Kelley, Fairfiled, N.J. Reprints of Economic Classics. Edited with a preface and analysis by Willaim Smart, Glasgow, 1893. Author's preface, Prag, September 1888. 243 pages.
Winkler, R. (2006). Now or never: environmental protection under hyperbolic discounting. CER-ETH, Center of Economic Research at ETH Zurich. Working Paper 06/60, October 2006.
Wisdom, J. (1987). Chaotic behaviour in the solar system. Nuclear Physics B - Proceedings Supplements, 2, 391-414.
- - - . (1985). Meteorites may follow a chaotic route to Earth.