Venu Menon, Sudha (2006): Globalisation, state and disempowerment: study of farmers suicide in Warangal.
Download (244Kb) | Preview
The ideology of globalization and its practice based on neo-liberal paradigm has played a vital role in re-arranging the architecture of global economic and political order. Central to this new economic dispensation is a shift in the role of the state, particularly in its commitment towards the mass of the people from where it supposed to drives its strength according to democratic traditions. Supporters of Globalization often believes that inflow of foreign capital, advanced technology, market economy and the resultant economic growth will automatically take care of issues of social justice and equity. However these claims seem to be meaningless in the present global economic order based on wide disparities in power relations and resource distribution. There exists a dramatic paradox between the theoretical discourse on global economic growth and prosperity, and the naked reality of impoverishment, social exclusion and disempowerment affecting vast majority of marginalized groups in society. Against this background, the present paper seeks to explore the relationship among the three-core concept of Globalization, Nation state and Disempowerment in the context of neo liberal agenda and Indian states commitment to Structural Adjustment Programme. The paper doesn’t criticize Globalization perse, but try to project how global integration follows high social cost, especially in the absence of stable, effective and efficient economic base.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Institution:||ICFAI Business School, Ahmedabad|
|Original Title:||Globalisation, state and disempowerment: study of farmers suicide in Warangal|
|Keywords:||globalisation; disempowerment; farmers suicide; Andhra Pradesh; India|
|Subjects:||Q - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics > Q0 - General > Q00 - General|
|Depositing User:||sudha venu menon|
|Date Deposited:||02. Feb 2007|
|Last Modified:||14. Feb 2013 05:11|
1. Hoogvelt Ankie, Globalisation and post colonial World: The New Political Economy of Development, The John Hopkins University ,Press, Maryland,2001.
2. Kohli Atul, Democracy and Discontent: India’s Growing Crisis of Governability, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1991.
3. Kothari Rajani, State Against Dwemocracy: In search of Humane Governance, Ajanta Publications, New Delhi, 1998.
4.Rudolph L.I and S.H Rudolf, In pursuit of Lakshmi : Political Economy of Indian State, Chicago 1987.
5. Pai Sudha, State Politics in India, Shipra Publication, New Delhi, 2003.
6. Desai A.R, Peasant Struggle in India, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 1978.
7. Jayal Neeraja Gopal, Democracy and the State: Welfare Secularism, and Development in contemporary India, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 1991.
8.Siva Vandana, Tom Crompton, Monopoly and monoculture: Trends in India Seed Industry, EPW, No. 33, September 26, 1998
9.Siddiqui Kalam, Agriculture Exports, Poverty and Ecological Crisis: Case Study of Central American Republic, EPW, September 26,1998. 10.G. Parthasarathi and Shameem , Suicide of Cotton Farmers in A.P EPW, 1998. 11.Shiva Vandana, Globalisation and seed Security, EPW, March 6, 1999.
12.Kothari Rajani, Will the nation State hold under Globalisation, EPW, July 31, 1995.
13.Becker, What is Globalisation Polity, Cambridge, 2004
14.Bhalla A.S, Globalisation Growth and Marginalisation, McMillan Press, London, 1998
15.Bhalla A.S and F. Lapeyre, Poverty and Exclusion in a Global World, Macmillan Press, London, 1999.
16.Ponti Stephano, Policy Reforms, Market Failure and Input use in African Share Holder Agriculture, EJDR, June 2005.
17.Patnaik P. Capitalism in Asia, Monthly Review, No.3 July-August, 1999 Shetty S.L, Reviving the economy; Some Explorations, EPW, Volume 34, July 28, 2003
18. Castell,Manual. The Information Society and the Welfare State: The Finnish Model. Oxford UP, Oxford (2004)
19. Naomi Klein. No Logo: Taking Aim at the Brand Bullies, Knopf Canada January 2000. _________________________