Funk, Matt (2009): On the Truly Noncooperative Game of Island Life II: Evolutionary Stable Economic Development Strategy in Brief.
Download (399Kb) | Preview
This paper offers a solution to 'The Problem of Sustainable Economic Development' on islands. This hypothesis offers a foundational, sub-game solution to The Island Survival Game, a counterintuitive, dominant economic development strategy for ‘islands’ (and relatively insular states). This discourse also tables conceptual building blocks, prerequisite analytical tools, and a guiding principle for The Earth Island Survival Game, a bounded delay supergame which models 'The Problem of Sustainable Economic Development' at the global level. We begin our exploration with an introduction to The Principle of Relative Insularity, a postulate which informs ESS for ‘island’ and ‘continental’ players alike. Next, we model ‘island’ economic development with two bio-geo-politico-economic models and respective strategies: The Mustique Co. Development Plan, and The Prince Edward Island Federal-Provincial Program for Social and Economic Advancement. These diametrically opposed strategies offer an extraordinary comparative study. One island serves as a highly descriptive model for 'The Problem of Sustainable Economic Development'; the other model informs ESS. 'The Earth Island Survival Game' serves as a remarkable learning tool, offering lessons which promote islander survival, resource holding power, cooperative behaviour, and independence by illuminating the illusive path toward sustainable economic development.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||On the Truly Noncooperative Game of Island Life II: Evolutionary Stable Economic Development Strategy in Brief|
|Keywords:||Non-cooperative games, evolutionary game theory, relative insularity, islands, tragedy of the commons, sustainable economic development, theory of value, resource holding power, evolutionary stable strategy, natural selection, long distance dispersal|
|Subjects:||O - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth > O1 - Economic Development
O - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth > O1 - Economic Development > O13 - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Energy; Environment; Other Primary Products
C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods > C7 - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory > C72 - Noncooperative Games
|Depositing User:||Matt Funk|
|Date Deposited:||13. Aug 2009 15:02|
|Last Modified:||13. Feb 2013 21:15|
1. Funk M (2009) On the Truly Noncooperative Game of Island Life: Introducing a Unified Theory of Value & Evolutionary Stable Strategy. A Masters Thesis (Univ of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown).
2. Mullen W (2009) 1 Birthday, but 2 Incredible Lives: Influence of Charles Darwin, Abraham Lincoln Strong as their Bicentennial Nears. The Chicago Tribune. Sunday, 8 February 2009. Section 2.
3. Funk M (2009) On the Truly Noncooperative Game of Life on Earth: In Search of the Unity of Nature & Evolutionary Stable Strategy. Announced in NEP: Resource Economics 2009-08-08, and NEP: Cognitive & Behavioural Economics 2009-08-08 (MPRA, Munich).
4. Funk M (2008) On the Problem of Vague Terms: A Glossary of Clearly Stated Assumptions & Careful, Patient, Descriptions (MPRA, Munich).
5. Popper K (1983) Realism and the Aim of Science (Routledge, London).
6. Helferich G (2004) Humboldt's Cosmos: Alexander von Humboldt and the Latin American Journey that Changed the Way We See the World (Gotham, New York).
7. Schabas M (2005) The Natural Origins of Economics 2007 Ed (Univ of Chicago Press, Chicago).
8. Sokal A (1996) Transgressing the Boundaries: Toward a Transformative Hermeneutics of Quantum Gravity. Social Text 46:217-252.
9. Sokal A (1996) A Physicist Experiments with Cultural studies (NYU, New York).
10. Sokal A (1996) Transgressing the Boundaries: An Afterword. Dissent 43:93-99.
11. Sokal A (2008) Beyond the Hoax: Science, Philosophy, and Culture(Oxford Univ Press, New York).
12. Rowbottom D, Aiston S (2006) The Myth of 'Scientific Method' in Contemporary Educational Research. Journal of Philosophy of Education 40:137-156.
13. Hardin G (1998) Extensions of “The Tragedy of the Commons.” Science 280: 682-683.
14. Darwin C, Wallace A (1858) The Darwin-Wallace Paper. By Charles Darwin, Esq., FRS, FLS, & FGS, and Alfred Wallace, Esq. Communicated by Sir Charles Lyell, FRS, FLS, and J.D. Hooker, Esq,…FLS, &c. The Darwin-Wallace paper was read before the Linnean Society July 1st 1858 and published in Proceedings Vol 3 1858. pp 45-62. In the original paper as published by the Linnean Society: Pages 45-46 consists of a letter of introduction by Charles Lyell and Joseph D. Hooker. Pages 46-50 consists of an Extract from an unpublished Work on Species, by C. Darwin, Esq., consisting of a portion of a Chapter entitled, On the Variation of Organic Beings in a state of Nature; on the Natural Means of Selection; on the Comparison of Domestic Races and true Species. Pages 50-53 consists of an Abstract of a Letter from C. Darwin, Esq., to Prof. Asa Gray, Boston, U.S., September 5th 1857. Pages 53-62 consists of the manuscript On the Tendency of Varieties to depart indefinitely from the Original Type By Alfred Russel Wallace (This latter known as The Ternate Paper of 1858).
15. Funk M (2008) On the Problem of Sustainable Economic Development I: A Tenable Solution to this Prisoners Dilemma in an Open Letter to the Åland International Institute of Comparative Island Studies (AICIS, Åland).
16. Funk M (2008) On the Problem of Connectivity: The Value of Relative Insularity. A seminar delivered 11 June 2008, 1:00 PM, at the Åland International Institute of Comparative Island Studies Annual Conference, “Islands of Competence: Branding Identities in a Globalized World,” Parliamentary Building, Mariehamn, Åland(AICIS, Åland).
17. Demetrius L, Ziehe M (1984) The measurement of darwinian fitness in human populations. Proc of the Royal Soc of London B 222:33-50.
18. Biagini E, Hoyle B, eds., (1999) Insularity and Development: International Perspectives on Islands (Pinter, London).
19. Kostopoulou S (1999) Transport Network Access Degrees of Insularity. In Biagini E, Hoyle B, eds., Insularity and Development: International Perspectives on Islands (Pinter, London).
20. Pinder D, Edwards J (1999) Island Locations and Economic Advantage: the Case of UK Energy Systems. In Biagini E, Hoyle B, eds., Insularity and Development: International Perspectives on Islands (Pinter, London).
21. Hayek F (1974) Banquet Speech (Nobel Foundation, Stockholm).
22. Goldsmith F (1973) The Ecologist's Role in Development for Tourism. Bio J Linn Soc 5:265-287.
23. Popper K (1994) In Search of a Better World (Routledge, London).
24. Llewelyn-Davies, et al. (1970) Mustique Developmet Plan (The Mustique Co., Mustique).
25. Dommen E, Hein P, eds. (1985) States, Microstates and Islands (Croom Helm, London).
26. Russell P (1993) Constitutional Edyssey: Can Canadians Become a Sovereign People. 2nd Ed, revised and updated to cover the making and breaking of the Charlottetown Accord (Univ of Toronto Press, Toronto).
27. Selten R (1994) Multistage Game Models and Delay Supergames (Nobel Foundation, Stockholm).
28. Lincoln A (1863) The Gettysburg Address.19 November 1863 (Library of Congress, Washington).
29. Barton W (1930) Lincoln at Gettysburg: What He Intended to Say; What he Said; What He Was Reported to Have Said; What He Wished He Had Said First Ed, Union League Club library (Bobbs-Merrill, Indianapolis).
30. Selten R (1980) A Note on Evolutionarily Stable Strategies in Asymmetric Animal Conflicts. J Theor Biol 84:93-101.
31. Maynard Smith J (1982) Evolution and the Theory of Games (Cambridge Univ Press, New York).
32. Baldacchino G (2006) Warm versus Cold Water Island Tourism: A Review of Policy Implications. Island Studies J 1:183-200).
33. Milinski, M et al. (2008) The Collective-Risk Social Dilemma and the Prevention of Simulated Dangerous Climate Change. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105:2291-2294.
34. Gore A (2006) An Inconvenient Truth: The Planetary Emergency of Global Warming and What We Can Do About It (Rodale, New York).
35. Begley L (1993) Crossing that Bridge: A Critical Look at the PEI Fixed Link (Ragweed, Charlottetown).
36. Funk M (2007) On the Problem of Breathing, Eating, & Drinking Poison—An Introduction to Problem Solving, Nobility of Purpose under Adverse Circumstances, and the Search for Truth with Karl Popper. Announced in NEP: Cognitive & Behavioural Economics 2009-04-14, and NEP: History & Philosophy of Economics 2009-04-13 (MPRA, Munich).
37. Baldacchino G, Funk M (2008) A Search for a Measure of the Quality of Life on Prince Edward Island: An Inter-Provincial ‘Cost of Living’ Inquiry (MPRA, Munich).
38. Hunter M, Corbin C (2007) ‘Built for Going Away’ : The Canso Causeway Epic, in Three Acts: 67-84. In Baldacchino G, eds., Bridging Islands: The Impact of Fixed Links (Acorn Press, Charlottetown).
39. Huff D (2009) Corporate Knights magazine releases Canada's first Green Provincial Report Card... BC claims title as Greenest Province; Ontario is #2; Nunavut is #3; PEI pulls up the rear; Alberta edges out Quebec (Corporate Knights, Toronto).
40. MacDougall G (2008) Minding the canary in the mine. The Guardian August 2.
41. Schneider G (2007) We need action now to address nitrate problem. The Guardian June 6.
42. Beaulier S, Caplan B (2007) Behavioral Economics and Perverse Effects of the Welfare State. Kyklos 60:485-507.
43. Weale D (1991) Islandness. Island Journal, Maine, Island Institute, 8:81-82.
44. Stigler G (1982) The Process and Progress of Economics. J of Pol Econ 91:529-545.
45. Richardson, B. (1975). The Over-development of Carriacou. Geographical Review, 65:390-399
46. Treverton G, Jones S (2005) Measuring National Power (RAND, Santa Monica).
47. Mearsheimer J (2001) The Tragedy of Great Power Politics (Norton, New York).
48. Mattai, I Mahon R (2006) CERMES Technical Report No. 15: Review and Interpretation of Environmental and Sustainable Development Legislation for the Grenadines Islands (CERMES, Barbados).
49. CIA (2009) World Factbook (Central Intelligence Agency, Langley).
50. Funk, M (2008) The Funk Line. Funkislandorg (Youtube.com).
51. Wallace A (1881) Island Life 1892 Ed (Macmillan, London).
52. Neff J (2006) Katahdin: An Historic Journey (AMC Books, Boston).
53. Silliker B (2002) Saving Maine: An Album of Conservation Success Stories (Down East Books, Camden).
54. Turner T (2008) Call Me Ted (Grand Central, New York).
55. Fielding R (2005) Islandness, Fixed-Links, and Tourism Along Florida’s Gulf Coast. A Master’s Thesis (Univ of Montana, Missoula).
56. Day G, ed. (2009) Roque Island. Blue Water Sailing 39.
57. Taft H, et al. (2002) A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast. 4th Ed. (Diamond Pass, Peaks Island).
58. Bailey D (2005) Identification and Creation of Optimum Habitat Conditions for Livestock. Rangeland Ecology & Management 58:109-118.
59. Smith A (1776) An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations (Strahan & Cadell, London).
60. Hayek F (1960) The Constitution of Liberty (Routledge, London).