Leâo Fernandes, GRAÇA and Passos, JOSÉ and Chagas Lopes, MARGARIDA (2004): Skill Development Patterns and their Impact on Re-employability: Evidence for Portugal.
Download (94Kb) | Preview
With employment and labour crisis training for (re)employability reaches the highest importance and absorbs an increasing share among public active labour market policies. Provided that retraining is adequate shorter unemployment spells can be observed in the transition between jobs. Therefore duration models seem to be quite adequate to model the time intervals between previous and subsequent occupations and the kind of skills /training acquired in between deserves most attention among the main covariates. In this paper we adjust such a models for POrtugal on the basis of data obtained from the Portuguese Statistical Office's Employment Survey.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Skill Development Patterns and their Impact on Re-employability: Evidence for Portugal|
|Keywords:||Transition between jobs; unemployment duration; retraining; skills; POrtugal; Employment Survey|
|Subjects:||C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods > C4 - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics > C41 - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics > E2 - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment > E24 - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution; Aggregate Human Capital
|Depositing User:||Margarida Chagas Lopes|
|Date Deposited:||14. Apr 2010 16:42|
|Last Modified:||22. Feb 2013 01:51|
· Ashenfelter, O. and Layard, R. (1986), Handbook of Labour Economics, vol.I, Ashenfelter & Layard (eds.), Vol I, II, North Holand.
· Ashenfelter, O. and D. Card, Handbook of Labor Economics, Vols. 3A, 3B and 3C, (1999, North Holland: Amsterdam).
· Bergstrom, R. and Edin, P. (1992). Time aggregation and the distributional shape of unemployment duration. Journal of Applied Econometrics, 7, pp. 5-30.
· Bollens, J. and Nicaise, I (1994), “The medium-term impact of vocational training on employment and unemployment duration”, EALE Conference, 22-25 September, Warsaw.
· Jenkins, S. (1990). The length of lone mothers’ spells of Suplementary Benefit/Income Support. Report to the Department of Social Security.
· Jenkins, S. (1995). Easy estimation methods for discrete-time duration models. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 37, pp 228-35.
· Kalbfleisch, J. D. and Prentice, R. L. (2002). The statistical analysis of failure time data. 2nd edition, Wiley
· Lancaster, T. (1990). The econometric analysis of transition data. Econometric Society Monographs, Nº 17, Cambridge.
· Prentice, R.L. and Gloeckler, L.A.(1978). Regression analysis of grouped survival data with application to breast cancer data. Biometrics, 34, pp. 57-67.
· Weiss (1986): The Determinants of Life Cycle Earnings: a Survey. In: Handbook of Labour Economics, vol.I, Ashenfelter & Layard (eds.), Elsevier Science Publ., London.