Drine, Imed (2010): Food and Global Crises impacts on Middle East and North African Region: What lesson can we learn for the future?
Download (209kB) | Preview
The recent crises concerning food and finances highlight the extreme fragility of the MENA countries and question the sustainability of the development processes. The economic and social impacts of these crises on the economies of the MENA region signal the magnitude of the challenges facing the region and the need to reorient its development policies. This paper intends to provide a comprehensive analysis of economic and social impacts of the two crises to help understanding, on one hand, the magnitude of the problem facing the region, and the need for a reorientation of the region’s development policies, on the other.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Food and Global Crises impacts on Middle East and North African Region: What lesson can we learn for the future?|
|Keywords:||Food Crisis, Financial Crisis, MENA Region|
|Subjects:||D - Microeconomics > D5 - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium > D53 - Financial Markets
Q - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics ; Environmental and Ecological Economics > Q1 - Agriculture > Q11 - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis ; Prices
F - International Economics > F4 - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance > F41 - Open Economy Macroeconomics
E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics > E4 - Money and Interest Rates > E44 - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
|Depositing User:||Imed Drine|
|Date Deposited:||22. Apr 2010 21:10|
|Last Modified:||22. Feb 2015 22:02|
1. Arab Labor Organization (2009), The Impact of the Global Economic Crisis on the Arab Labor Markets (in Arabic).
2. Arab League (2009), The Impacts of Rising in World Food Prices and its Effects on Living Standards of Arab Citizens (in Arabic).
3. Arab NGO Network for Development and Christian Aid (2009), Facing Challenges of Poverty, Unemployment, and Inequalities in the Arab Region: Do Policy Choices of Arab Government Still Hold after Global Economic Crisis?
4. Cline, W. R. (2007). Global Warming and Agriculture: Impact Estimates by Country, Washington, DC: World Bank Publications.
5. Sestser, B. And R. Ziemba, (2009) ‘GCC Sovereign Funds: Reversal of fortune’, Centre for Geo-economic Studies, Working paper.
6. The Arab World Competitiveness Report 2002-2003, World Economic Forum.
7. The Global Competitiveness Report 2009-2010, World Economic Forum.
8. United Nations Development Programme and Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (2009), ‘Arab Human Development Report 2009: Challenges to Human Security in the Arab Countries’. New York: UNDP.
9. World Bank (2009), Improving Food Security in Arab Countries, Washington, DC: the World Bank.
10. Yemslov, R. (2008), ‘The Food Crisis: Global Perspectives and Impact on MENA: Fiscal & Poverty Impact’, http://siteresources.worldbank.org/ INTMENA/ Resources/RuslanPresentationBBL.pdf