Koshy, Perumal (2009): Adoption of Information and Communications Technology in Rural Micro and Small Enterprises (MSEs) : Case of MSEs in South Indian State of Kerala, India.
Download (545Kb) | Preview
ICT plays a significant role in the life of enterprises. Micro and Small Enterprises (MSEs) have to be familiar and in tune with ICT applications, within the context of fast evolving global market dynamics. However, how far MSEs of rural India could address this challenge of adoption of ICT within their enterprise level? What are the challenges and opportunities that rural MSEs could accrue from ICT adoption?
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Adoption of Information and Communications Technology in Rural Micro and Small Enterprises (MSEs) : Case of MSEs in South Indian State of Kerala, India|
|Keywords:||Micro and Small Enterprises; Rural Enterprises; India; ICT adoption|
|Subjects:||L - Industrial Organization > L8 - Industry Studies: Services > L86 - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software|
|Depositing User:||Perumal Koshy|
|Date Deposited:||15. Apr 2011 14:48|
|Last Modified:||16. Feb 2013 00:29|
1. Accenture, Markle Foundation and UNDP (July 2001). Creating a Development Dynamic, Final Report of the Digital Opportunity Initiative July 2001 accessed on May 10 2008 at http://www.opt-init.org/framework/pages/2.2.3.html
2. Adam Ruth, Z, (May 2003), “e-Commerce and e-Business”, e-Asian task force, UNDP-APDIP. http://www.apdip.net/publications/iespprimers/eprimer-ecom.pdf
3. Bliss Florence S. Manlulo. “Doing Business Made Easy” , http://www.ncc.gov.ph/files/6-5.pdf
4. Carter, S. and Dylan J.Evans, (July 2006). Enterprise and Small Business, Principles, Practice and Policy, Second Edition.
5. Commission Of The European Communities, Communication From The Commission To The Council, The European parliament, The Economic And Social Committee And The Committee Of The Regions Helping SMEs to "Go Digital" March 2001, http://eurlex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=COM:2001:0136:FIN:EN:PDF
6. Duncombe, R & Heeks R (2001), Information and Communications Technology: A handbook for entrepreneurs in developing countries, IDPM, University of Manchester, UK
7. Gani A, Clemes M, 2006, “Information and communications technology: a non-income influence on economic well being” International Journal of Social Economics Vol. 33 No. 9, 2006
8. Harindranath, G. Dyerson, R. and Barnes, D. “ICT Adoption and Use in UK SMEs: a Failure of Initiatives?” The Electronic Journal Information Systems Evaluation Volume 11 Issue 2, pp. 91 - 96, available online at www.ejise.com (2008).
9. Hasnu & Amjad, ICT, Small Enterprises Strategic Management and Performance: A Theoretical Model with Some UK Evidence, www.brad.ac.uk/acad/bcid/research/papers/ResearchPaper11Amjad.pdf
10. ITC (1999), Cyber Marketing, International Trade Centre, Geneva and Malta External Trade Corporation.
11. Karmel S & Bryon J (2002), A comparison of small and medium enterprises in Europe and in the USA, Rutledge-Taylor & Francis Group
12. Koshy, P (2007) Free Market, Reforms and SMEs, 9 Sept 2007, (accessed on 8 May 2008 at http://www.boloji.com/business/017.htm
13. Kotelinkov Vadim, (2007) UNDP- UN-APCICT, Small and Medium Enterprises and ICT, Thailand. 14. Kapurbandara, M. and Lawson R, 2006, Barriers to Adopting ICT and e-commerce with SMEs in Developing Countries: An Exploratory study in Sri Lanka.
15. Kapurubandara, M. (2004) “e-transform industries in developing countries towards e-business”. 16. Maguire, S.C.L. Koh, A. Magrys, 2007, The adoption of e-business and knowledge management in SMEs... Benchmarking. Bradford: 2007. Vol. 14.
17. Lukács Edit (2005) The Economic role of SMEs in World Economy, especially in Europe, European integration studies, vol 4
18. Mahesha Kapurubandara, Shiromi Arunatileka, Athula Gnige, (2004) "Application of eBusiness Strategies for SMEs in Developing Countries," eee, pp. 49-59, 2004 IEEE International Conference on e-Technology, e-Commerce and e-Service (EEE'04),
19. NCTE, (June 2007), what is Computer, NCTE Advice Sheet, National Centre for Technology in Education, http://www.ncte.ie/documents/advicesheets/01Whatisacomputer(June07).pdf>
20. Niño Alejandro Q. MANALO1 Jose DV. CAMACHO, JR. (2007) IT AND FIRM-LEVEL PERFORMANCE IN THE PHILIPPINES. 1999-2006, The International Journal of Economic Policy Studies 2007, Vol. 2, Article 9. (http://wwwsoc.nii.ac.jp/jepa/ijeps/contents/2007/articles/ManaloCamachoIJEPS07.pdf).
21. OECD report (2004), Proceedings, the Second OECD Conference of SME Ministers, 3-5 June 2004. http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/32/28/34228733.pdf ).
22. Pascal Limy (2001), intervention made in a seminar titled, “e-Economy, Challenges for international trade, 2001” http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/events/eeconomy/doc/speech_lamy.pdf
23. UNDP-APDIP- e note (2005) Why Should Countries Embed ICTs into SME Policy, < http://www.apdip.net/apdipenote/4.pdf>
24. Verma, H. ICT adoption in Indian SMEs: Status and Scope. Confederation of Indian Industry(CII)