Ahmadzadeh Mashinchi, Sina (2010): The impact of the global economic crisis on non-oil operations of ports in Iran. Published in: Middle East Journal of Scientific Research (ISI Indexed) , Vol. 9, No. 5 (15. November 2011): pp. 596-601.
Download (222Kb) | Preview
It is generally accepted that the recent economic crisis of 2007-2010 has caused widespread economic recession in different countries. Since the ports and coastal regions are of great importance to economic infrastructure, this study examined the possible impact resulting from such a global economic crisis on the ports in Iran. First, the annual number of berthing vessels of gross tonnage over a thousand tons as well as loading and unloading of non-oil cargoes and containers were extracted from statistical reports of Ports and Maritime Organization. Then an attempt was made to predict the amount of expected non-oil operation by the advanced quantitative statistical methods in Iran's ports. According to the results obtained from comparing predicted and actual statistics, these ports have been affected by the current economic crisis, but after one-year delay.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||The impact of the global economic crisis on non-oil operations of ports in Iran|
|English Title:||The Impact of the Global Economic Crisis on Non-Oil Operations of Ports in Iran|
|Keywords:||Loading/unloading, vessels of gross tonnage over a thousand tons, port performance, gross tonnage, TEU|
|Subjects:||C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods > C5 - Econometric Modeling > C51 - Model Construction and Estimation
O - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth > O5 - Economywide Country Studies > O53 - Asia including Middle East
C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods > C8 - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs > C88 - Other Computer Software
E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics > E0 - General > E01 - Measurement and Data on National Income and Product Accounts and Wealth; Environmental Accounts
F - International Economics > F4 - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance > F43 - Economic Growth of Open Economies
L - Industrial Organization > L9 - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities > L92 - Railroads and Other Surface Transportation
Y - Miscellaneous Categories > Y1 - Data: Tables and Charts > Y10 - Data: Tables and Charts
F - International Economics > F0 - General > F01 - Global Outlook
C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods > C8 - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs > C87 - Econometric Software
F - International Economics > F1 - Trade > F14 - Empirical Studies of Trade
F - International Economics > F4 - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance > F47 - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
N - Economic History > N7 - Transport, Trade, Energy, Technology, and Other Services > N75 - Asia including Middle East
G - Financial Economics > G0 - General > G01 - Financial Crises
E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics > E6 - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, Macroeconomic Policy, and General Outlook > E60 - General
C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods > C1 - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General > C13 - Estimation: General
C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods > C5 - Econometric Modeling > C53 - Forecasting and Prediction Methods; Simulation Methods
F - International Economics > F1 - Trade > F17 - Trade Forecasting and Simulation
L - Industrial Organization > L9 - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities > L91 - Transportation: General
C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods > C2 - Single Equation Models; Single Variables > C22 - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
F - International Economics > F4 - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance > F41 - Open Economy Macroeconomics
M - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting > M2 - Business Economics > M21 - Business Economics
C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods > C0 - General > C01 - Econometrics
L - Industrial Organization > L7 - Industry Studies: Primary Products and Construction > L70 - General
|Depositing User:||Sina Ahmadzadeh Mashinchi|
|Date Deposited:||15. Apr 2012 14:02|
|Last Modified:||12. Feb 2013 16:07|
1. Safarzadeh, M. M. Azizabadi and E. Hamidi, 2006. Marine Transportation, Asrar Danesh, Tehran.
2. Goss, R. 1967. “Towards an Economic Appraisal of Port Investment”, J. Transp. Econ. Policy, 1 (3): 249-272.
3. Heggie, I. 1974. Charging for Port Facilities, J. Transp. Econ. Policy, 8 (1), 3- 25.
4. Waters, R.C. 1977. Port Economic Impact Studies: Practice and Assessment, Transport. J., 16 (3): 14-18.
5. Chang, S., 1978. In Defence of Port Economic Impact Studies, Transport. J., 17 (3): 79-85.
6. Peston, M.H. and R. Rees, 1971. Port Costs and the Demand for Port Facilities, National Ports Council, London.
7. Bennathan, E. and A.A. Walters, 1979. Port Pricing and Investment Policy for Developing Countries, Oxford University Press.
8. Jansson, J.O. and D. Shneerson, 1982. Port Economics, The MIT Press, Massachusetts.
9. Suykens, F. 1982. A few Observations on Productivity in Seaports, Deputy General Manager, Port of Antwerp, Belgium.
10. De Monie, G., 1987. Measuring and Evaluating Port Performance and Productivity, UNCTAD, Monographs on port management.
11. Dowd, T.J. and T.M. Leschine, 1989. Container Terminal Productivity: a Perspective, Washu-G- 89-005 C3, Washington Sea Grant, Port Management Series.
12. Tongzon, J.L., 1993. The Port of Melbourne Authority´s Pricing Policy: its Efficiency and Distribution Implications. Marit. Policy Manage., 20 (13): 197-205.
13. Talley, W.K. 1994. Performance Indicators and Port Performance Evaluation, Logist. Transport. Rev., 30 (14): 339-352.
14. Sachish, A., 1996. Productivity Functions as a Managerial Tool in Israeli Ports, Marit. Policy Manage., 23 (4): 341-369.
15. Robinson, R. and S. Everett, 1997. Productivity of Australian Container Terminals: some Critical Issues, ITS-WP-97-3.
16. Shneerson, D. 1983. Short Term Planning for a Ports System, Marit. Policy Manage., 10 (4): 217-250.
17. Bobrovitch, D., 1982. Decentralised Planning and Competition in a National Multi-Port System. JTEP, 16(1): 31-42.
18. Shneerson, D. 1983. Short Term Planning for a Ports System. Marit. Policy Manage., 10(4): 217-250.
19. Goodman, A.C. 1984. Port Planning and Financing for Bulk Cargo Ships. Theory and a North American Example. J. Transp. Econ. Policy, 18 (3):237-252.
20. Fernández, J.E., J. De Cea and J.M. Fernández, 1999. Port Privatization in Developing Countries: the Case of Container Terminals. Int. J. Transport Econ., 26(2): 293-314.
21. Estache, A. and G. De Rus, 2000. Privatization and Regulation of Transport Infrastructure: Guidelines for Policymakers and Regulators, WBI Development Studies, World Bank, Washington, D.C.
22. Heaver, T.D. 1995. The Implications of Increased Competition among Ports for Port Policy and Management . Marit. Policy Manage., 22 (2): 125-133.
23. Malchow, M. and A. Kanafani, 2001. A Disaggregate Analysis of Factors Influencing Port Selection. Marit. Policy Manage., 28 (3): 265-277.
24. Shahabadi, A. and S. Sheikhaghaee, 2010. Investigation the Effect of Foreign Direct Investment on Iran’s Export. World Appl. Sci. J., 9(7): 757-763.
25. Homayounifar, M. and F. Rastegari Pour, 2008. Analysis of Economic-Political Factors Affecting non Oil Export of Iran. AEJAES. 2 (Supple 1): 169-173.
26. Lotfi, H. and S. Ahmadzadeh-Mashinchi, 2008. Investigating the Effect of Granted Facilities by Specialist Banks to Agriculture Part on Value Added Agriculture Part of Iran. AEJAES. 2 (Supple 1): 145-150.
27. Alavinasab, S.M. and G. Jandaghi, 2010. Analysis of Iran's Foreign Trade Structure During Three Development Plans. World Appl. Sci. J. 8(6): 706-713.
28. Reker, R.A., D. Connelland D.I. Ross, 1990. The Development of a Production Function for a Container Terminal in the Port of Melbourne. Australian Transport Research Forum, 15: 209-218.
29. Martínez-Budría, E. 1996. Un estudio econométrico de los costes del sistema portuario español. Revista Asturiana Econ., 5: 135-149.
30. Jara-Díaz, S., C.E.Cortés, A.D. Vargas and E. Martínez-Budría, 1997. Marginal Costs and Scale Economies in Spanish Ports. 25th European Transport Forum, Proceedings Seminar, PTRC, London, pp. 137-147.
31. Jara-Díaz, S., B. Tovar and L. Trujillo, 2005. Multoutput analysis of cargo handling firms: An application to a Spanish port. Transportation, 32 (3): 275-291.