Malakhov, Sergey (2012): Satisficing decision procedure and optimal consumption-leisure choice.
Download (586kB) | Preview
The paper argues that when a consumer searches for a lower price, a satisficing decision procedure equalizes marginal costs of search with its marginal benefit. The consumer can maximize the utility of his consumption-leisure choice with regard to the equality of marginal values of search. Therefore, the satisficing decision procedure results in the optimizing consumer behavior.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Satisficing decision procedure and optimal consumption-leisure choice|
|Keywords:||satisficing, optimizing,consumption, leisure, search, reserve for purchases|
|Subjects:||D - Microeconomics > D1 - Household Behavior and Family Economics > D11 - Consumer Economics: Theory
D - Microeconomics > D8 - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty > D83 - Search; Learning; Information and Knowledge; Communication; Belief
|Depositing User:||Sergey Malakhov|
|Date Deposited:||23. May 2012 13:55|
|Last Modified:||15. Feb 2013 19:18|
1. Fellner,G., Guth,W., Martin E. 2006. Satisficing or Optimizing? An Experimental Study. Max-Planck-Institut für Ökonomik. Papers on Strategic Interaction, 11.
2. Friedman, M. 1953. Essays in Positive Economics. Part I. The Methodology of Positive Economics. University of Chicago Press (1953) 1970.
3. Kapteyn A., Wansbeek T., Buyze J. 1979. Maximizing or Satisficing. The Review of Economics and Statistics,Vol. 61, No. 4, pp. 549-563.
4. Lewer, J., Gerlich, N., Gretz, R. 2009. Maximizing and Satisficing Consumer Behavior: Model and Test. Southwestern Economic Review (Texas Christian University), 36, 1. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1740002
5. Malakhov, S. 2011a. Towards a New Synthesis of Neoclassical Paradigm and Search – Satisficing Concept. IAREP/SABE Annual Conference., Exeter, 2011.
6. Malakhov, S. 2011b. Optimal Consumer Choices under Conditions of Sequential Search. Economic Policy ANE-IEP, Moscow, 6 (6), 148 - 168. (The English version is availaible as “Optimal Sequential Search and Optimal Consumption-Leisure Choice” at: http://works.bepress.com/sergey_malakhov
7. Malakhov,S. 2012a. A Paradox of Little Pre-Purchase Search for Durables: the trade-off between prices, product lifecycle, and savings on purchases. Available at: http://works.bepress.com/sergey_malakhov
8. Simon, H. 1957. Part IV in: Models of Man. Wiley, New York, 196 – 279.
9. Simon, H. 1972. Theories of Bounded Rationality. In: Decision and Organization. C.B.Mcguire and Roy Radner (eds.), Nort-Holland Publishing Company, 161 – 176. 10. Simon, H. 1978. Rationality as Process and as Product of Thought. American Economic Review, 68(2), 1-16.
11. Slote, M. 1989. Beyond Optimizing: a study of rational choice. Harvard University Press.
12. Schwartz, B., Ward, A., Monterosso, J., Lyubomirsky, S., White, K., Lehman, D. 2002. Maximizing Versus Satisficing: Happiness is a Matter of Choice. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 83 (5), 1178-1197.
Available Versions of this Item
Satisficing decision procedure and optimal consumption-leisure choice. (deposited 23. May 2012 13:55)
- Satisficing decision procedure and optimal consumption-leisure choice. (deposited 27. Oct 2012 15:00)