Mohammad, Irfan (1994): The Namibian Economic Ferfomance During 1990-93 - An Overview.
Download (2478Kb) | Preview
Namibia is now in its fourth year as an internationally recognised sovereign, independent state, and it is of interest to understand and consider the policy directions opted by the Government to achieve the objectives of growth' and equity. Obviously, three years in the history of a state do not represent a period sufficient to make a valid far reaching evaluation of its performance, but outlining and analysing the socio-economic development and institutional changes of this period will afford inferences regarding the foundations being laid for future social and economic development.
The policies, development objectives and associated strategies of the Namibian state are discussed in the first section of this report, this section also includes a discussion of institutional changes, particularly the setting up of the administrative structure and, briefly the macro-economic and sectoral performance. section two discusses human resource development and utilization together with issues related to population growth and its distribution; health and education; employment and unemployment (utilizing newly available Population Census data). The third section deals with problems and progress in relation to poverty, income and assets distribution. Concluding remarks constitute the final section of the report.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||The Namibian Economic Ferfomance During 1990-93 - An Overview|
|Keywords:||Economic Performance; Namibia; Growth; Economic Trends; social sectors|
|Subjects:||N - Economic History > N1 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations
O - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth > O1 - Economic Development
|Depositing User:||Nabeela Arshad|
|Date Deposited:||23. May 2012 14:04|
|Last Modified:||12. Feb 2013 23:16|
1. BANK OF NAMIBIA. "BALANCE OF PAYMENTS NAMIBIA 1990 - 1992".
2 FRAYNE BRUCE "URBANISATION IN POST INDEPENDENCE WINDHOEK" NISER RESEARCH REPORT NO= 6 FEB. 1992 WINDHOEK
3. DU PISANI A "SWAM/NAMIBIA: THE POLITICS OF CONTINUITY AND CHANGE" JONATHAN BALL, JOHAHHESBURG
4. GREEN .H. REGINALD "NAMIBIA A POLITICAL AND ECONOMIC SURVEY" IDS SUSSEX ENGLAND 1979
5. INTERNATIONAL FUND FOR AGRICULTURE DEVELOPMENT "NORTHERN LIVESTOCK IMPROVEMENT PROJECT: SOCIO ECONOMIC AND PRODUCTION SYSTEM DIAGONISTIC STUDY" REPORT NO: 121/92 IFAD N 2 SEPS NOVEMBER 1992.
6. INTERNATIONAL DEFENCE AND AID FUND (IDAF) FOR SOUTH AFRICA "NAMIBIA THE FACTS". LONDON, 1989.
7. LINDEN ELINE VAN DER. "NAMIBIA'S TAX SYSTEM" NEPRU RESEARCH REPORT NO: 6 WINDHOEK APRIL 1992.
8. MINISTRY OF LABOUR AND MANPOWER DEVELOPMENT "A SURVEY REPORT ON VOCATIONAL TRAINING IN NAMIBIA" COMPILED BY SNS CONSULTANTS. WINDHOEK APRIL 1993.
9. MINISTRY OF LABOUR AND MANPOWER DEVELOPMENT "THE STATUS OF ECONOMICALLY ACTIVE POPULATION OF NAMIBIA - REPORT OF A LABOUR FORCE SAMPLE SURVEY" AUGUST 1991.
10. MINISTRY OF EDUCATION AND CULTURE "TOWARDS EDUCATION FOR ALL- A DEVELOPMENT BRIEF FOR EDUCATION, CULTURE AND TRAINING" WINDHOEK DECEMBER 1992.
11. NAMIBIA REPUBLIC OF "WORKING FOR A BETTER NAMIBIA SECTORAL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAHHE". WINDHOEK HARCH 1993.
12. NAMIBIA, REPUBLIC OF. "NATIONAL CONFERENCE ON LAND REFORMS AND LAND QUESTION VOLUME I". OFFICE OF THE PRIME MINISTER. WINDHOEK JULY 1991.
13. NAMIBIA REPUBLIC OF "TRANSITIONAL NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN 1991/92 - 1993/94" NATIONAL PLAHBING COHKISSION
14. NAMIBIA REPUBLIC OF, MINISTRY OF FINANCE. "ECONOMIC REVIEW" 1992, AND 1993,
15. NAMIBIA REVIEW VARIOUS ISSUES
16. NAMIBIA, NATIONAL PLAHBING COHKISSION, "NAMIBIA DEMOGRAPHIC AND HEALTH. SURVEY 1992 PRELIMINARY REPORT DEC. 1992
17. SLTIPOKE PAULO: "NAMIBIA'S EXTERNAL TRADE DEVELOPMENT PROSPECTS" NEPRU WORKING PAPER NO.8 WINDHOEK AUGUST 1992.
18. UN INSTITUTE FOR NAMIBIA: "NAMIBIA: PERSPECTIVE FOR NATIONAL RECONSTRUCTION AND DEVELOPMENT". LUSAKA 1986.