Mohammad, Irfan and Idris, Huda El-Tayab and Gabbani, Abdel-Hamid (1991): Employment, income and wages in informal sector of Greater Khartoum: findings of a survey. Published in: UNFPA/ILO Project SUD/86/P06 No. Working Paper No: 2 (1991)
Download (2MB) | Preview
This is the second working paper of the UNFPA/ILO Project "Assistance for formulation and implementation of National Population and Human Resource Development" SUD/68/P06. The informal sector survey, subject matter of this report was undertaken in May 1988.
Organization of informal sector in terms of ownership and management is discussed in the first section of this report. Adequacy of infra-structural facilities is also provided in this section. Sectoral composition/ structure of assets/ and operation of enterprise is detailed in the second section. Sales and net income of the enterprises is discussed in Section three. This section also contains a multivariate regression analysis to assess determinants of enterprises net income. Employment structure/household income of the operators/ and wages of the informal sector employees find their place in the fourth section. Over time growth of the informal sector in Khartoum and problems faced by the respondents are discussed in fifth section. Final section presents conclusions and policy recommendations.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Employment, income and wages in informal sector of Greater Khartoum: findings of a survey|
|Keywords:||Informal sector; Infrastructure; Sectoral composition; Structure of Assets; Multivariate Regression Analysis; employment structure; Khartoum; survey report|
|Subjects:||O - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth > O1 - Economic Development
E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics > E2 - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment
O - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth > O1 - Economic Development > O17 - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics > E2 - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment > E24 - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution; Aggregate Human Capital
|Depositing User:||Nabeela Arshad|
|Date Deposited:||24. May 2012 14:33|
|Last Modified:||12. Feb 2013 19:59|
1. AWAD MOHAMMAD HASHIM Ed : Socio-economic Change in Sudan University of Khartoum 1983.
2. International Labour Office Growth Employment and Eguity, A comprehensive Strategy for Sudan ILO Geneva 1976.
3. ILO The Dilemma of the Informal Sector Report of the Director General ILO Geneva 1991.
4. ILO Employment and Economic Reforms Towards a Strategy for the Sudan ILO Geneva 1986.
5. IRFAN MOHAMMAD: Employment and Wages in Formal Sector of Greater Khartoum - Findings of a survey. Working paper No.1 UNFPA/ILO Project SUD/86/P06 - Khartoum Nov. 1990.
6. Jobs and Skills Programme for Africa African Employment Report 1990 JASPA, ILO Addis Ababa.
7. KEDDEMAN WILLIAM Incomes Employment and Poverty in Khartoum, Economic and Social Research Council Khartoum 1976.
8. SUDAN GOVERNMENT : Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning AL - ARD - AL - IQTESADI 1989/90 Khartoum 1990.