Mohammad, Irfan and Demery, Lionel and Ghulam Mohammad, Arif and Farooqui, Furqan Ahmad and Tariq, Javed and Haq, Rashida and Khan, Ghani (1983): Migration Patterns in Pakistan: Preliminary Results from the PLM Survey, 1979. Published in: Studies in Population, Labour Force and Migration Project Report No. 6 (1983)
Download (16MB) | Preview
This paper reports some preliminary results of the PLM survey, as they relate to migration flews in Pakistan. Section II reviews the implications of the data collection methodology, and is followed (in Section III) by an analysis of the major flows of internal migration. Section IV deals separately with international migration and Section VIII draws some concluding observations.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Migration Patterns in Pakistan: Preliminary Results from the PLM Survey, 1979|
|Keywords:||Migration flows in Pakistan; household survey; International Migration|
|Subjects:||O - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth > O1 - Economic Development
F - International Economics > F2 - International Factor Movements and International Business > F22 - International Migration
O - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth > O1 - Economic Development > O15 - Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
R - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics > R2 - Household Analysis
R - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics > R2 - Household Analysis > R23 - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population; Neighborhood Characteristics
|Depositing User:||Nabeela Arshad|
|Date Deposited:||23. Jun 2012 12:35|
|Last Modified:||14. Feb 2013 18:21|
1. Akram M. "Home Remittances" Business Records, February 2, 1978.
2. Ali Nazir "Manpower Export Impact on Pakistan's Economy" Economic Outlook, August 1978.
3. Bi1sborrow, R. V. (Countries: Surveys of Internal Migration in Low . Income Issues of Survey and Sample Design, ILO Geneva, 1981
4. E.S.C.A.P. National Migration Surveys: Surveys Manuals. VI Sample Design Manual,U.N. New York, 1980
5. E.S.C.A.p. Interntional Migration in the Countries of the ESCAP Region. Note by the ESCAP Secretariat for the Third Asia and Pacific Population Conference, 20-29 September 1982, Colombo.
6. Gilani Ijaz, M. Fahim Khan and M. Iqbal, Labour Migration From Pakistan to the MiddleEast and Its Impact upon the Domestic Economy, Part I, II and III, PIDE, Islamabad, 1981
7. I.M.F. Survey, Volume 7 No. 17. September 1978.
8. Government of Pakistan. Housing, Economic nnd Demographic Survey, Census Organization, Interior Division. Is1amilbad, 1974.
9. Government of Pakistan. Labour Force Survey 1974-75, Statistics Division, Karachi 1976.
10. Government of Pakistan. Labour Force Survey 1979-80. Federal Bureau of Statistics, Karachi, 1982.
11. Government of Pakistan. Pakistan Economic Survey 1981-82, Islamabad, 1982.
12. Government of Pakistan. The fifth Five Year Plan 1978-83. The Planning Commission, Karachi, 1978.
13. IL0/ARTEP. Employment and Structural Change in Pakistan - Issues for the Eighties. IL0. Bangkok,1983
14. Pervaiz Shahid(to be identified)
15. Ravenstein E. G. "The Laws of Migration:, Journal of the 'Royal Statistical Society, Volume 48, 1886.
16. Sirageldin et. al.
17. Skeldon Ronald "Migration in South Asia" An Overview in K. Maudood Elahi and L.Nosinski (eds) Population Distribution in South Asia (forthcoming 1982).
l8. Todaro M.P. Internal Migration in Developing Countries, ILO Geneva 1976.
19. Z. Zar. External Migration of Labour From Pakistan Overseas Employment Corporation Ltd. Government of Pakistan Karachi, 1978.