Santella, Paolo and Baffi, Enrico and Drago, Carlo and Lattuca, Dino (2008): A Comparative Analysis of the Legal Obstacles to Institutional Investor Activism in Europe and in the US.
Download (488Kb) | Preview
Starting from the observation that at the multilateral level shareholder activism is considered as an important aspect of good corporate governance, this paper examines several legal and economic obstacles to institutional investor activism in the EU and in the US. We also examine the voting record of 76 institutional investors in the US and of several others in the EU. We find that US investors seem to have easier access to proxy voting than in the EU (although recent EU legislation should remove several of the present legal obstacles); that conflicts of interest seem to limit the activism of several categories of institutional investors both in the US and in the EU; that some national legislations limit the ability of institutional investors to coordinate their voting policies; and that recourse to stock lending and other forms of separation of financial risk from voting rights seems to be practiced more by controlling shareholders at the expense of institutional investors than the opposite. We also find that institutional investors in the US seem to have a more adversarial voting pattern vis-à-vis company managements than in the UK; this might be due to the fewer voting rights given to shareholders by the US regulatory framework. As for Europe, institutional investors' voting pattern is by far the most adversarial in France, where there is a high incidence of control-enhancing mechanisms. Institutional investors seem to have an adversarial voting stance also in Greece, Belgium and Sweden, where control-enhancing mechanisms are also present, while in Italy they tend to have a low voting turnout. More in general, EU investors’ voting pattern seems to be sensitive to the presence of control-enhancing mechanisms, ownership concentration, and to the origin of the national legal system.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||A Comparative Analysis of the Legal Obstacles to Institutional Investor Activism in Europe and in the US|
|Keywords:||Shareholder activism, shareholder voting, proxy voting, acting in concert, securities lending, institutional investors, legal origins, control-enhancing mechanisms, corporate governance, ownership concentration|
|Subjects:||K - Law and Economics > K2 - Regulation and Business Law
G - Financial Economics > G2 - Financial Institutions and Services
G - Financial Economics > G3 - Corporate Finance and Governance > G34 - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
G - Financial Economics > G3 - Corporate Finance and Governance
G - Financial Economics > G2 - Financial Institutions and Services > G24 - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage; Ratings and Ratings Agencies
|Depositing User:||Carlo Drago|
|Date Deposited:||02. Jun 2008 13:12|
|Last Modified:||11. Feb 2013 20:12|
- ABP (2007). Annual report 2006, available at: http://abp.turnpages.nl/annualreport2006/pdf/ABP_annual_report_2006.pdf
- Agnblad, J., P. Berglöf, P. Högfeldt and H. Svancar (2001). Ownership and Control in Sweden: Strong Owners, Weak Minorities, and Social Control, in The Control of Corporate Europe, Fabrizio Barca and Marco Becht eds., Oxford University Press.
- Allaire, Y., and M. Firsirotu (2007). Hedge funds as “Activist Shareholders”: Passing Phenomenon or Grave-Diggers of Public Corporations?, available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=961828
- Anabtawi, I., and L. Stout (2008). Fiduciary Duties for Activist Shareholders, UCLA School of Law and Economics Research Paper Series n. 08-02.
- Baffi, E. and P. Santella (2007). Un passo verso la public company, available at: http://www.lavoce.info/articoli/pagina1000066.html
- Bainbridge S. M. (2005) Shareholder Activism and Institutional Investors, available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=796227.
- Bainbridge, S. M. (2006). Director Primacy and Shareholder Disempowerment, UCLA School of Law, Law-Econ Research Paper No. 05-25 Harvard Law Review, Vol. 119, avaliable at http://ssrn.com/abstract=808584.
- Banque & Droit (1997). Réforme des Opa. n. 53, May-June, p. 34-36.
- Bebchuk, L. A. (2005). The Case for Increasing Shareholder Power, Harvard Law Review, vol. 118, p. 833 ss.
- Bebchuk, L. A. (2007). The Myth of the Shareholder Franchise, Virginia Law Review, vol. 93, p. 675 ss.
- Becht, M. (1999), European Corporate Governance: Trading Liquidity Against Control, European Corporate Governance Institute (ECGI), Brussels (retrieved from http://ssrn.com/ abstract=161014).
- Becht, M., J. Franks, C. Mayer, and S. Rossi (2006). Returns to Shareholder Activism. Evidence from a Clinical Study of the Hermes UK Focus Fund, www.ssrn.com
- Becht, M., J. Franks, C. Mayer, S. Rossi (2006). Returns to Shareholder Activism Evidence from a Clinical Study of the Hermes U.K. Focus Fund , ECGI - Finance Working Paper No. 138/2006, London Business School Finance Working Paper No. FIN462, available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=934712
- Berglof, E. and M. Burkart (2003), “European Takeover Regulation”, Economic Policy, 36, p. 173.
- Berle, Jr, A.A. and Means G. C. (1932) The Modern Corporation and Private Property, Harcourt, Brace & World Inc.
- Bianchi, M. and M. Bianco (2006). Italian Corporate Governance in the Last 15 Years: From Pyramids to Coalitions? ,ECGI - Finance Working Paper No. 144/2006, available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=952147
- Bianchi M. , Bianco M., Giacomelli S. , Pacces A. M., e Trento S. (2005). Proprietà e controllo delle imprese in Italia, Bologna, Il Mulino
- Bianchi, M., M. Bianco, S. Giacomelli, A. M. Pacces, and S. Trento (2005). Proprietà e controllo delle imprese in Italia, Bologna, Il Mulino.
- Bianchi, M. and L. Enriques (2001). Corporate Governance in Italy After the 1998 Reform: What Role for Institutional Investors?, Consob, Quaderni di finanza n. 43, January, also available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=203112
- Black B. S. (1990). Shareholder Passivity Reexamined, 89 Mich. L. Rev. 520.
- Black B. S. (1998). Shareholder activism and corporate governance in the United States, in The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics and the Law (Peter Newman ed.).
- Black B. S. and Coffee J. (1997). Hail Britannia?: Institutional Investor Behavior under Limited Regulation, 92 Mich. L. Rev.
- Black, B. S. (2001). The Legal and Institutional Preconditions for Strong Securities Markets, UCLA Law Review, vol. 48, p. 781 ss.
- Bratton, W.W. (2007), “Hedge Funds and Governance Targets”, paper presented at the conference Activist Investors, Hedge Funds and Corporate Governance, Amsterdam, 8-9 March 2007. An earlier (2006) version of this paper (Georgetown Law and Economics Research Paper No. 928689) is also available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=928689.
- Briggs T. W. (2007). Corporate Governance and the New Hedge Fund Activism: An Empirical Analysis, The Journal of Corporation Law 681, Summer.
- Campbell, C., S. Gillan, and C. Niden (1999). Current Perspectives on Shareholder Proposals: The 1997 Proxy Season, Financial Management, vol. 28, p. 89-98.
- Casper, M. Case Note - The Pixelpark-ruling of the Regional Appellate Court Frankfurt (OLG Frankfurt) of 25 June 2004: The first decision on "Acting in Concert" and its expected effects on German Takeover Law. German Law Journal Vol. 5 No. 8 – 1 August 2004. available at: http://www.germanlawjournal.com/print.php?id=481
- CESR (2007). Call for evidence on possible CESR level 3 work on the Transparency Directive, available at: http://www.cesr-eu.org/index.php?page=responses&id=98
- Chiappetta, F. (2007). Diritto del governo societario, CEDAM.
- Choi, S.J., and J.E. Fisch (2008). On Beyond CalPERS: Survey Evidence on the Developing Role of Public Pension Funds in Corporate Governance, NYU Law and Economics Research Paper No. 07-30 and Fordham Law Legal Studies Research Paper No. 1010330, also available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1010330
- Claessens, S., S. Djankov, and Lang (2000).
- Choi S. (2000), Proxy Issue Proposal:Impact of the1992 SEC Proxy Reforms, 16 J. L. Econ.&ORG. 233.
- Clark, C. (1986). Corporate Law, Aspen Law & Business.
- Coffe, J. ,Jr (1994). The SEC and the Institutional Investors: A Half- Time Report, Cardozo L. Rev 847
- Coffe, J. ,Jr (1999). The Future as History: The Prospects for Global Convergence in Corporate Governance and Its Implications, Columbia Law School Center for Law and Economic Studies Working Paper No. 144, available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=142833
- Consob (1999). Regolamento emittenti, Delibera n. 11971 of 14 May 1999 and further amendments, available at: www.consob.it
- Consob (2004). Relazione per il 2003, available at: www.consob.it
- Consob (2007). Annual Report for 2006, available at: http://www.consob.it/main/consob/pubblicazioni/relazione_annuale/relazione.html?symblink=/main/consob/pubblicazioni/relazione_annuale/index.html
- Consob (2007). Relazione per il 2006, available at: www.consob.it
- Council of Institutional Investors (2007). The Council of Institutional Investors Corporate Governance Policies, available at: http://www.cii.org/UserFiles/file/council%20policies/Redesigned%20CII%20Corp%20Gov%20Policies%201-29-08(1).pdf
- De Rose, R. and Houlihan Lokey (2007), “Shareholder Activism: Preparing the Board”, presentation slides for New York City Bar Center for Continuing Legal Education, An Introduction to Activist Investing: Techniques, Issues and Legal Considerations (6 February 2007), New York.
- De Rossi, F.M., D. Gariboldi, G. Leggieri, and A. Russo (2008). Il marketing dei fondi comuni italiani, Consob, Quaderni di Finanza, n. 61, January, available at: http://www.consob.it/documenti/quaderni/qdf61.pdf
- Deminor (2005), Application of the one share – one vote principle in Europe, Brussels, March, available at: http://deminor.org/articles.do?id=3479
- Djankov, S., R. La Porta, F. Lopez-de-Silanes, and A. Shleifer (2008). The Law and Economics of Self Dealing, forthcoming in Journal of Financial Economics.
- Draghi, M. (2007). Politica Monetaria e sistema bancario, 11 July, http://www.bancaditalia.it/interventi/integov/2007/abi_11_07.pdf
- Dyck, A., and L. Zingales (2004). Private Benefits of Control: An International Comparison, Journal of Finance. 59:2, pp. 537-600.
- Easterbrook, F.H., and D.R. Fischel (1983). Voting in Corporate Law, 26 J. L. and Econ. 395.
- EFAMA (2006). Comments on the Commission's proposal for a Directive on the exercise of voting rights by shareholders (COM (2005) 685 FINAL) and Council compromise proposal of 30 October 2006, 10 November.
- Enriques, L. (2004). The Mandatory Bid Rule in the Takeover Directive: Harmonization Without Foundation?, European Company and Financial Law Review, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 440-57.
- Enriques, L., and P.F. Volpin (2007). Corporate Governance Reforms in Continental Europe, Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 117-140, Winter 2007, also available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=970796
- ESME (2007). First Report of ESME on the Transparency Directive ("TD"), 5 December, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/securities/docs/esme/05122007_td_report_en.pdf
- European Commission (2003a). Modernising Company Law and Enhancing Corporate Governance in the European Union - A Plan to Move Forward, May, available at: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=COM:2003:0284:FIN:EN:PDF
- European Commission (2003b). Synthesis of the responses to the Communication of the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament "Modernising Company Law and Enhancing Corporate Governance in the European Union – A Plan to Move Forward" – COM (2003) 284 final of 21 May 2003. A Working Document of DG Internal Market, 15 November.
- European Commission (2005). Second Public Consultation on Shareholder Rights, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/company/shareholders/indexa_en.htm
- European Commission (2006). Impact Assessment on Shareholder Rights, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/company/docs/shareholders/comm_native_sec_2006_0181_en.pdf
- European Commission (2007a). Third Public Consultation on Shareholders' Rights, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/company/shareholders/indexa_en.htm
- European Commission (2007b). First Report of ESME on the Transparency Directive, 5 December, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/securities/docs/esme/05122007_td_report_en.pdf
- European Commission (2007c). Proportionality Between Capital and Control. Impact Assessment, December, available at http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/company/shareholders/indexb_en.htm
- European Corporate Governance Forum (2007). Statement of the the European Corporate Governance Forum, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/company/shareholders/indexb_en.htm
- ECGI (2007). Transatlantic Corporate Governance Dialogue, Corporate Governance Standards and Capital Market Competitiveness, available at: http://www.ecgi.org/tcgd/2007/proceedings.php
- European Union (2007). Directive 2007/36/CE of the Parliament and the Council of 11 July, available at: http://eurlex.europa.eu/Notice.do?hwords=&pgs=10&list=452297:cs,&val=452297:cs&nbl=1&lang=it&pos=1&page=1
- Faccio, M. and L. Lang. (2002). The Ultimate Owner of Western European Corporations, Journal of Financial Economics. 65:3, pp. 365-95.
- Federation of European Securities Exchanges (2007). Share Ownership Structure in Europe, February.
- Ferrarini, G. A. (2005). Corporate Governance Changes in the 20th Century: A View From Italy, March, available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=695762
- Ferrarini, G. A. (2006). One Share - One Vote: A European Rule? ECGI - Law Working Paper No. 58/2006, also available at www.ssrn.com
- Ferrarini, G. A. and P. Giudici (2005). Financial Scandals and the Role of Private Enforcement: The Parmalat Case, ECGI - Law Working Paper No. 40/2005, also available at www.ssrn.com
- FESE (2004). Share Ownership Structure in Europe, November, available at: http://www.fese.be/_lib/files/share_ownership_2004.pdf
- FESE (2007). Share Ownership Structure in Europe, February, available at: http://www.fese.eu/_lib/files/FESE%20Share%20Ownership%20Structure%20in%20Europe%202006.pdf
- Fisch J. E. (1993). From Legitimacy to Logic: Reconstructing Proxy Regulation, Vanderbilt Law Review, vol. 46, p. 1129 ss.
- Franks, J., and C. Mayer (2000). Ownership and Control of German Corporations , available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=247501
- Franks, J., C. Mayer, and S. Rossi (2003). The Origination and Evolution of Ownership and Control, CEPR Discussion Paper No. 3822.
- Franks, J., C. Mayer, and S. Rossi (2004). Spending Less Time with the Family: The Decline of Family Ownership in the UK , ECGI - Finance Working Paper No. 35/2004, available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=493504
- Franks, J., C. Mayer, and S. Rossi (2006). Ownership: Evolution and Regulation, ECGI - Finance Working Paper No. 09/2003; EFA 2004 Maastricht Meetings Paper No. 3205; AFA 2003 Washington, DC Meetings, available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=354381
- Georgeson (2005). Annual Corporate Governance Review, 2005, available at: http://www.georgeson.com/emea/research/4c)%20US%20Corp%20Gov%202005.pdf
- Georgeson (2007a). 2007 Annual Corporate Governance Review, available at: http://www.georgeson.com/emea/research/4a)%20US%20Corp%20Gov%202007.pdf
- Georgeson (2007b). Dispatches from the Proxy Front, Shareholder Activism and the 2008 Proxy Season, available at http://www.georgeson.com/usa/home.php .
- Gillan, S. L. and Starks, L. T. (2000). Corporate Governance Proposals and Shareholder Activism: The Role of Institutional Investors, Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 57, p. 275-305.
- Gillan, S. L. and Starks, L. T. (2007). The Evolution of Shareholder Activism in the United States, available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=959670
- Gilson, R. (2006). Controlling Shareholders and Corporate Governance: COMPLICATING THE COMPARATIVE TAXONOMY, 119 HARV. L. REV. 1641.
- Giovannini Group, The (2001). Cross-Border Clearing and Settlement Arrangements in the European Union, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/financial-markets/docs/clearing/first_giovannini_report_en.pdf
- Global Competition Review (2004). Corporate Governance 2004, London.
- M. Goergen and L. Renneboog (2003). Why Are the Levels of Control (S0) Different in German and in UK Companies? Evidence from Initial Public Offerings, 19 J.L. Econ. & Org. 141.
- Gordon, J. N. (2008). Proxy Contests in an Era of Increasing Shareholder Power: Forget Issuer Proxy Access and Focus on E-Proxy, February, forthcoming 2008, Vanderbilt Law Review Symposium, available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1085356
- Hertig, G. and J. McCahery (2006). Can France Serve as an Inspiration for EU law on Managerial Self Dealing?, Revue Trimestrielle du Droit Financier, n. 1, 48.
- HFWG (2008). Hedge Fund Standards: Final Report, January, available at: http://www.pellin.co.uk/HFWG/Final-Report.pdf
- Hopt, K.J., and P.C. Leyens (2004). Board Models in Europe
- Recent Developments of Internal Corporate Governance Structures in Germany, the United Kingdom, France, and Italy, ECGI - Law Working Paper No. 18/2004, European Company and Financial Law Review, pp. 135-168, 2004, Company & Securities Law Review, Vol. 1, pp. 217-245, 2005 VOC 1602-2004: 400 YEARS OF COMPANY LAW, Ella Gepken-Jager, Gerard van Solinge, Levinus Timmerman, eds., Deventer (Kluwer), 2005, also available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=487944
- Hu, H. and B. Black (2006). Hedge Funds, Insiders, and the Decoupling of Economic and Voting Ownership: Empty Voting and Hidden (Morphable) Ownership, December, available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=874098
- Hu, H. and B. Black (2008). Equity and Debt Decoupling and Empty Voting II: Importance and Extensions, January, 156 University of Pennsylvania Law Review, http://ssrn.com/abstract=1030721
- ICGN (2005). Stock Lending Code of Best Practice, available at: www.icgn.org/organisation/documents/slc/code_final.pdf
- Institutional Shareholders’ Committee (2007). THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF INSTITUTIONAL SHAREHOLDERS AND AGENTS – STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLES, available at: http://www.institutionalshareholderscommittee.org.uk/library.html
- ISS Europe, ECGI, and Shearman & Sterling (2007). Report on the proportionality principle in the European Union, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/company/shareholders/indexb_en.htm
- ISS, Shearman & Sterling, and ECGI (2007). Report on the Proportionality Principle in the EU, http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/company/shareholders/indexb_en.htm
- Kahan M. and Rock E. B. (2007a). The Hanging Chads of Corporate Voting, U of Penn, Inst for Law & Econ Research Paper No. 07-18 and NYU Law and Economics Research Paper No. 07-29, also available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1007065
- Kahan M. and Rock E. B. (2007b). Hedge Funds in Corporate Governance and Corporate Control, University of Pennsylvania Law Review, Vol. 155, No. 5, also available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=919881
- Katchaturian, A. (2006). The One-Share-One-Vote Controversy in the EU, ECMI Paper, n. 1, August.
- Kislin. S.A. (2007), “Shareholder Activism”, presentation slides for in New York City Bar Center for Continuing Legal Education, An Introduction to Activist Investing: Techniques, Issues and Legal Considerations (6 February 2007), New York.
- Kraakman, R.R., P. Davies, H. Hansmann, G. Hertig, K.J. Hopt, H. Kanda, and E.B. Rock (2004). The Anatomy of Corporate Law, Oxford University Press.
- La Porta, R., Lopez-de-Silanes F. Shleifer A., and Vishny R. W. (1996). Law and Finance, The Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 106, No. 6 (Dec., 1998), pp. 1113-1155
- La Porta R., Lopez-de-Silanes F., Shleifer, A., and Vishny R. W. (1999). Corporate Ownership Around the World, Journal of Finance. 54:2, pp. 471-517.
- La Porta R., Lopez-de-Silanes F., Shleifer, A., and Vishny R. W. (2003). What Works in Securities Laws, Tuck School of Business Working Paper No. 03-22; AFA 2005 Philadelphia Meetings, available at : http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=425880
- Lipton M. and Savitt W. , The Many Myths of Lucian Bebchuck, 93 Va. L. Rev . 733 (2007).
- London Business School (2008). NARAYAN NAIK ADVISES EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT ON HEDGE FUNDS: VIGOROUS VOLUNTARY CODE OF CONDUCT PREFERRED OVER REGULATIONS, 5 February, available at: http://forum.london.edu/lbspress.nsf/AllDocs/5A89005105FB96D5802573E6004F61D9/$File/Hedge+Funds+press+release+Feburary+2008.pdf
- Maes, I. (2007). Half A Century of European Financial Integration. From the Rome Treaty to the 21st Century, Brussels, Fond Mercator.
- Manifest (2007). Cross-Border Voting in Europe. A Manifest Investigation Into the Practical Problems of Informed Voting Across EU Borders, May.
- Marshall, P. (2008). Transparency of Institutional Investors, available at: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2004_2009/organes/juri/juri_20080225_1500_audition.htm
- Melis, A. (2004). Corporate Governance Failures. To What Extent is Parmalat a Particularly Italian Case?, September, http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=563223
- Messori, M. (2007). Nebbia in vetta a Telecom, available at: http://www.lavoce.info/articoli/-categoria48/pagina1000171.html
- Micossi, S. (2008). Transparency of Institutional Investors: Alternative Investment Vehicles & Mitigation of Potential Adverse Dynamics?, available at: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2004_2009/organes/juri/juri_20080225_1500_audition.htm
- Morck, R., D. Wolfenzon, and B. Yeung (2005). Corporate Governance, Economic Entrenchment, and Growth, J. of Economic Literature vol. XLIII, p. 655-720, September.
- Myners, P. (2007). Review of the Impediments to Voting UK Shares, July, http://www.bba.org.uk/content/1/c4/33/91/164265.pdf
- NAPF (2007). Pension Funds' Engagement with Companies, available at: http://www.napf.co.uk/DocumentArchive/Policy/Reports%20and%20Responses%20to%20Consultations/10_2007/20070813_Pension%20Funds'%20Engagement%20with%20Companies%20-%2013%20August%202007.pdf
- Nenova, T. (2003). The Value of Corporate Voting Rights and Control: A Cross-country Analysis, Journal of Financial Economics. 68:3, pp. 325-51.
- NYSE (2006). Report and Recommendations of the Proxy Working Group to the New York Stock Exchange, available at: http://www.nyse.com/pdfs/PWG_REPORT.pdf
- OECD (2003). Survey of Corporate Governance Developments in OECd Countries, available at: http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/58/27/21755678.pdf
- OECD (2004). Principles of Corporate Governance, available at: http://www.oecd.org/topic/0,3373,en_2649_34813_1_1_1_1_37439,00.html
- OECD (2007a). The Implications of Alternative Investment Vehicles for Corporate Governance: A Synthesis of Research about Private Equity Firms and Activist Hedge Funds, Paris, July, available at: http://www.oecd.org/document/17/0,3343,en_2649_37439_38674577_1_1_1_37439,00.html
- OECD (2007b). Consolidated Core Principles of Occupational Pension Regulation, Annex I: OECD Guidelines for Pension Fund Governance, 7 November, DAF/AS/PEN/WD(2007)8/REV1/ANN1
- OECD (2007c). Pension Fund Governance: Lingering Problems and Potential Solutions, 13 November, DAF/AS/PEN/WD(2007)17
- OECD (2007d). The Role of Private Pools of Capital in Corporate Governance: Summary and Main Findings, May, available at: www.oecd.org/daf/corporate-affairs/
- OECD (2007e). Lack of Proportionality Between Ownership and Control: Overview and Issues for Discussion, October, DAF/CA/CG/(2007)6, available at: www.oecd.org/daf/corporate-affairs/
- Olson, M. (1971). The Logic of Collective Action, Harvard UP.
- Pacces, A. (2008). Featuring Control Power, Rotterdam.
- PIRC (2007). PIRC Proxy Voting Annual Review 2006, London 2007,www.pirc.co.uk
- Proxy Working Group (2006). Report and Recommendations of the Proxy Working Group to the New York Stock Exchange, available at: http://www.nyse.com/pdfs/PWG_REPORT.pdf
- RiskMetrics (2007). Emerging Practices in Securities Lending and Proxy Voting Nexus, Available at: http://www.riskmetrics.com/press/articles/040307boardiq.html
- Roe M. (1994). Strong Managers Weak Owners :Thr Political Roots of American Corporate Finance.
- Romano, R. (1993). Public Pension Fund Activism in Corporate Governance Reconsidered, Columbia Law review, vol. 93, p. 795-853.
- Rothberg, B., and S. Lilien (2006). Mutual Funds and Proxy Voting: New Evidence on Corporate Governance, 1 J. of Business and Technology Law, n. 1, 157.
- Santella, P., C. Drago and G. Paone (2007). Who Cares About Director Independence?, available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=971189
- Securities Lending and Repo Committee, or SLRC (2004). Securities Borrowing and Lending Code of Guidance, December, available at: http://www.manifest.co.uk/reports/stockborrowing.pdf
- Sepe, S.M. (2007). "Private Sale of Corporate Control: Why the European Mandatory Bid Rule is Inefficient", August, available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1086321
- Shavell, S. (2005). The Case for Increasing Shareholder Power, 118 Harv. L. Rev. 833.
- Shleifer, A., and R. W. Vishny (1996). A Survey of Corporate Governance, NBER Working Paper No. W5554, April.
- Shleifer, A. (2007). Legal Foundations of Corporate Governance and Market Regulation, November.
- Spitalfields Advisors Limited (2005). Securities Lending and Corporate Governance, available at: http://www.isla.co.uk/docs/Securities%20Lending%20&%20Corporate%20Governance.pdf
- Stout L. (2003). The Shareholder as Ulisses: Some Empirical Evidence on Why Investors in Public Corporations Tolerate Board Governance, 152 U. Penn. L. R.
- Stout L. (2007) The Mythical Benefiths of Shareholder Control, Regulation vol. 30 n. 1, Spring, 42-47.
- Strine, Jr, L. E. (2007),Toward a True Corporate Republic: A Traditionalist Response to Bebchuck’s Solution for Improving Corporate America, 119 Harv. L. Rev. 1759.
- Tedeschini, S. (2007). Il ruolo della legge e dello stato nella separazione tra proprietà e controllo, mimeo.
- Verdam, A. (2006). An Exploration of the Role of Proxy Advisors in Proxy Voting, December, available at: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=978835
- Welch E. P. and Turezyn A. J. (2007). FOLK ON THE DELAWARE GENERAL CORPORATION LAW, 2007 edition.