Naghshineh-Pour, Amir (2009): Iran and the Global Financial Crisis.
Download (158kB) | Preview
The global financial crisis is set to depress oil producing economies. As the crisis is already pushing down oil prices, a firm response to the fallout of the crisis from governments and central banks is expected. Oil prices have tumbled more than 70% since their July peak and there are fears they could continue their plunge because of diminishing demand caused by the current financial meltdown. Though, the Iranian government does not seem to be greatly concerned about the ongoing global situation, although many Iranian economists believe that sanctions and the international financial crisis will soon be taking their toll on Iran’s economy by unfavorably affecting oil, trade, and trade financing. Even if the relative isolation from the world’s economy may seem to protect Iran from the negative impact of the global financial crisis to a certain extend at least for now, plunging oil prices and a massive credit deterioration suggest otherwise.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Iran and the Global Financial Crisis|
|Keywords:||Iran; Financial Crisis; Oil Revenue; Currency Exchange; Currency Crash|
|Subjects:||O - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth > O5 - Economywide Country Studies|
|Date Deposited:||11. Feb 2009 08:45|
|Last Modified:||16. Feb 2013 05:04|
1. Press TV, “Iranian economists criticize Ahmadinejad,” November 10th, 2008, http://www.payvand.com/news/08/nov/1084.html.
2. Donya-e Eghtesad daily newspaper, 6th year, Number 1661, Sunday 19th of Aban 1387.
3. Naghshineh-Pour, Amir “A Review and Analysis of Iran’s Current Economic Status”, October 2008, http://www.payvand.com/news/08/oct/1285.html.
4. Donya-e Eghtesad daily newspaper, 6th year, Number 1650, Sunday 12th of Aban 1387.
5. Donya-e Eghtesad daily newspaper, 6th year, Number 1651, Monday 13th of Aban 1387.
6. Wroughton, Lesley “Sanctions hurting Iran economic activity, says IMF,” Reuters, August 15th, 2008.
7. Donya-e Eghtesad daily newspaper, 6th year, Number 1653, Wednesday 15th of Aban 1387.
8. Press TV, “IMF forecasts fiscal deficit in Iran,” September 19th, 2008, http://www.payvand.com/news/08/sep/1257.html.
9. Naghshineh-Pour, Amir “A Review and Analysis of Iran’s Current Economic Status”, October 2008, http://www.payvand.com/news/08/oct/1285.html.
10. Wikipedia, “Stagflation,” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagflation.