Mohammad, Irfan (1999): Rural non-farm sector in Pakistan.
Download (435kB) | Preview
Admittedly the rural non-farm sector has immense contribution to the growth, employment generation and poverty alleviation in the developing world, adequate assessment of the size, composition and structure of activities of this segment of the economy is not made in general, Pakistan being no exception. Partly the data limitations explain the relative neglect of research endeavours to focus upon this important sector,part of the reason lies in the intricate and complex interaction of RNF with the rest of the economy thereby defying efforts to delineate and subject it to a competent and rigorous analysis. In this study an attempt is made to provide some ideas regarding the size and structure of RNF sector in Pakistan, the nature of interlinkages between this sector and rest of the economy in particular the agriculture. Also an examination, of the nature of influences different policies have had on the relative size and the nexus between this sector and the rest of the economy, is attempted. The findings of the study are reported in five Chapters.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Rural non-farm sector in Pakistan|
|Keywords:||Rural; Non-Farm Sector; Pakistan; Size & Structure of Rural Non- Farm sector|
|Subjects:||J - Labor and Demographic Economics > J0 - General|
|Depositing User:||Nabeela Arshad|
|Date Deposited:||17. Apr 2012 16:30|
|Last Modified:||08. Sep 2015 13:55|
1. Amjad Rashid (ed) To the Gulf and Back: Studies on the Economic Impact of Asian Migration ARTEP/ILO, New Delhi, 1989.
2. Amjad, Rashid and A. R. Kemal (1997). Macro-economic Policies and their Impact on Poverty Alleviation in Pakistan. The Pakistan Development Review, 36(1): 39-68.
3. Arif, G.M. & Mohammad Irfan (1997). Return Migration and Occupational Changes the Case of Pakistani Migrants Returned from the Middle East, The Pakistan Development Review, 36(1): 1-37.
4. Arif, G.M. & Sabiha Ibrahim (1999). The Process of Urbanisation in Pakistan, 1951-1998. Paper presented at the 14th Annual General Meeting of the PSDE held in Islamabad, January.
5. Burney, N.A. & M. Irfan. (1995). Determinants of Child School Enrollment: Evidence from LDC, Using Choice theoretic Approach. International Journal of Social Economics. Vol. 22 No.1. MCB University Press, England.
6. Cameroon,J. and M. Irfan. Enabling People to Help Themselves- An Employment and Human Resource Development Strategy for Pakistan in the 1990's ILO/ARTEP, New Delhi, 1991.
7. Chaudhry M.G. "The State and Development of Rural Industries in Pakistan" in Development and Diversification of Rural Industries in Asia. Edited by Swapna Mukhopadhuay and Chee Ping Lime. APDC, Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia, 1985.
8. Child F.C. and Kanela H. Links to the Green Revolution: A Study of Small Scale Agriculturally Related Industry in Pakistan's Punjab" Economic Development and Cultural Change, Vol. 23, Chicago, 1975.
9. Ercelawn Aly "Income Inequality in Pakistan: A Study of Sample Villages: PJAE, 1984.
10. Gazder, H., S. Howes and Salman Zaidi (1994). `Poverty in Pakistan: Measurement Trends and Patterns", STICRD, LSE, London.
11. Hirashima, S.J. The Structure of Disparity in Pakistan's Agriculture.
12. Hussain, Akmal Strategic Issues in Pakistan's Economic Policy: Progressive Publishers Ltd. Lahore, 1988.
13. Irfan, M. and Amjad R. Poverty in Rural Pakistan in Poverty in Rural Asia. Edited by A. R. Khan and Eddy Lee, ILO/ARTEP, Bangkok, 1988.
14. Irfan, M. Poverty, Class Structure and Household Demographic Behaviour in rural Pakistan in Population Growth and Poverty in Rural South Asia. Edited by Gerry Rodgers. SAGE Publication, New Delhi, 1989.
15. Irfan, M. and Ahmed M. "Real Wages in Pakistan Structure and Trends 1970-84" PDR, 1985.
16. Irfan, M. "Out Migration and Labour Market Adjustment in Pakistan" in Monitoring Labour Market ARTEP/ILO, Bangkok, 1985.
17. Irfan, M. etal. The Structure of Informal Credit market in Pakistan. Research Report No. 168, PIDE. 1999.
18. Kemal, A.R. and Zafar Mahmood: Labour Absorption in the Informal Sector and Economic Growth in Pakistan, Islamabad, FES, 1993.
19. Kemal, A.R. and Zafar Mahmood. Characteristics of Workers in the Informal Sector of Pakistan. Research Report No. 160, PIDE. 1998.
20. Khan, Shahrukh Rafi & M. Irfan. "Rates of Return to Education and the Determinants of Earnings in Pakistan". The Pakistan Development Review. Autumn-Winter.
21. Naseem, S.M. Underdevelopment, Poverty and Inequality in Pakistan. Vanguard Publications Ltd., Lahore, 1981.
22. Qureshi, S.K. Implication of Macro-economic Reforms Trade Libralisation of Pakistan's Agriculture. Mimeo. PIDE, 1998.