Munich Personal RePEc Archive

An anatomy of the Spanish current account adjustment: the role of permanent and transitory factors

Moral-Benito, Enrique and Viani, Francesca (2017): An anatomy of the Spanish current account adjustment: the role of permanent and transitory factors.

This is the latest version of this item.

[img]
Preview
PDF
MPRA_paper_80193.pdf

Download (454kB) | Preview

Abstract

This paper aims to identify how much of the recent current account adjustment in Spain can be explained by cyclical factors. For this purpose, we consider a variant of the External Balance Assessment (EBA) methodology with country-specific slopes and intercepts. The resulting residuals are negligible for most countries so that the positive analysis of current account decompositions provides a more informative assessment. According to our findings, around 60% of the 12 pp. adjustment of the Spanish external imbalance over the 2008-2015 period can be explained by transitory factors such as the output gap, the oil balance, and the financial cycle. The remaining 40% is explained by factors such as the cyclically-adjusted fiscal consolidation, population aging, lower growth expectations, or competitiveness gains, which can all be considered as more permanent phenomena.

Available Versions of this Item

Logo of the University Library LMU Munich
MPRA is a RePEc service hosted by
the University Library LMU Munich in Germany.