Correani, L and Di Dio, F and Garofalo, G (2009): Growth and social capital: an evolutionary model.
Download (334Kb) | Preview
In this paper, we analyze the role of cooperation between firms through a model of growth and social capital. In a growth model à la Solow we incorporate the set of resources that a relational network has at its disposals, as a distinct production factor, and thus examine its dissemination through evolutionary type processes in firm interactions. Dynamic analysis of the model demonstrates that cooperation is able to increase the productivity of factors, fostering a higher rate of growth in the long term. The most significant result is that scarcity of social capital can produce a general collapse of the economic system in areas in which long term growth is usually sustained by the learning by doing and spillover of knowledge phenomena. This conclusion leads to reconsider the role of local development economic policies that should concentrate on activities that promote repeated interaction between firms proven to be cooperative or that encourage the formation of technological consortia.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Growth and social capital: an evolutionary model|
|Keywords:||Economic growth; Social capital; Networks; Evolutionary games|
|Subjects:||C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods > C7 - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory > C71 - Cooperative Games
O - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth > O4 - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity > O43 - Institutions and Growth
|Depositing User:||luca correani|
|Date Deposited:||02. Sep 2009 20:29|
|Last Modified:||13. Feb 2013 10:56|
- Antoci A., Sacco L., Vanin P. (2007), Social capital accumulation and the evolution of social partecipation, The Journal of Socio-Economics, 36 (1), 128-143.
- Barro R., Sala i Martin X. (1995), Economic growth, The MIT Press.
- Baumol W. (2001), When is inter-firm coordination beneficial? The case of innovation, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 19 (5), 727-737.
- Bourdieu, P. (1986), The forms of capital, in John G Richardson (ed.), Handbook of theory and research in sociology education, N.Y. Greenwald Press.
- Chou Y.K. (2006), Three simple models of social capital and economic growth, The Journal of Socio-Economics, 35 (5), 889-912.
- Francois P., Zabojnik J. (2005), Trust, social capital and economic development, Journal of the European Economic Association, 3 (1), 51-94.
- North D.C. (1990), Institutions, institutional changes and economic performances, Cambridge University Press.
- Sabatini, F. (2008), Social capital and the quality of the economic development, Kyklos, 61(3), 466-499.
- Vega Redondo F. (2006), Building up Social Capital in a changing world, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 30, 23-51. - Weibull J., Evolutionary game theory, The MIT press, Cambridge, 1998.