Funk, Matt (2009): On the Travesty of the Tragedy of the Commons: Hardin's Nontrivial Error.
Download (43kB) | Preview
Garrett Hardin’s "Tragedy of the Commons" remains one of the most frequently cited works across the spectrum of science — indeed, a visit to the website of the influential journal which published this paper in 1968 reveals that this revolutionary communique remains amongst its ‘top articles’. But Hardin's enduring, influential theoretical development presents a serious problem: it is not a single theory, but rather four major theories in a stormy sea of ill-conceived and untenable auxiliary conjecture. Moreover, the solid core of Hardin's central thesis was simply a restatement of a previously published theory, the promethean vision of William Forster Lloyd.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||On the Travesty of the Tragedy of the Commons: Hardin's Nontrivial Error|
|Keywords:||Tragedy of the Commons; William Forster Lloyd; Garrett Hardin; Scientific Method;|
|Subjects:||Q - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics ; Environmental and Ecological Economics > Q5 - Environmental Economics > Q50 - General
B - History of Economic Thought, Methodology, and Heterodox Approaches > B4 - Economic Methodology > B40 - General
Q - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics ; Environmental and Ecological Economics > Q2 - Renewable Resources and Conservation > Q20 - General
|Depositing User:||Matt Funk|
|Date Deposited:||12. Dec 2009 08:08|
|Last Modified:||12. Feb 2013 02:30|
1. Hardin G (1968) The Tragedy of the Commons Science 162:1243-1248.
2. Fersht A (2009) The most influential journals: Impact Factor and Eigenfactor Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 106:6883-6884.
3. Lloyd W (1833) Two Lectures on the Checks to Population. Reprinted in Population and Development Review, Vol. 6, No. 3, Sep., 1980:473-496.
4. Hardin (1977) Ethical Implications of Carrying Capacity (The Garrett Hardin Society, Petosky).
5. Gordon B (1966) W.F. Lloyd: A Neglected Contribution Oxf Econ Pap 18:64-70.
6. Funk M (2009) On the Truly Noncooperative Game of Island Life: Introducing a Unified Theory of Value & Evolutionarily Stable Island Economic Development Strategy. Appendix VII: “On the Tragedy of the Prince Edward Island Commons”. MPRA 19049:97-113
7. Funk M (2009). A lecture on checks to population and the tragedy of the commons: “Solving Island Problems with Island Solutions: Amplification by Compression, Complex Systems, & Cultural Evolution.” Delivered 26 January 2009, Research Methods & Designs for Island Studies (IST 604):
8. Funk M (2008) On the Truly Noncooperative Game of Life on Earth: In Search of the Unity of Nature & Evolutionary Stable Strategy. MPRA 17280:1-21.
9. Funk M (forthcoming) On the Origin of Mass Extinctions: Darwin’s Nontrivial Error Proc Linn Soc.
10. Darwin C (1858) Letter to Asa Gray of Boston, mailed from Down, 5 September 1857. Proc Linn Soc 3:45-62.