Turturean, Ciprian Ionel and Chirila, Ciprian and Chirila, Viorica (2007): Sex discrimination within the Romanian labor market – Myth or reallity?
Download (335kB) | Preview
The constant fight against discrimination of any nature constitutes one of the most important objectives of the European Union. Special directives have been adopted with regard to this aspect, comprising measures for fighting discrimination generally and especially discrimination related to the labour market (Directives 76/207/CEE or 86/613/CEE). The article treats sex discrimination within the Romanian labour market from an economic perspective. We shall present the characteristics and particularities of the Romanian labour market, from the point of view of sex structure, in the period 1990-2006: the occupation rate of the population, the unemployment rate, income level, period of activity, retirement level and retirement receiving period. The analysis of sex discrimination within the Romanian labour market will take into account the differences between the two types of population considered, differences which are due to certain physiological and psychological characteristics. These characteristics may determine biases towards certain types of economic activities for which the income level, work schedule and work condition might differ.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Sex discrimination within the Romanian labor market – Myth or reallity?|
|English Title:||Sex discrimination within the Romanian labor market – Myth or reallity?|
|Keywords:||sex segregation, activity and employment rate, gender activity and employment gap, gender differences in salary, positive discrimination, gender division of labour, statistical data analysis.|
|Subjects:||E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics > E2 - Consumption, Saving, Production, Investment, Labor Markets, and Informal Economy > E24 - Employment ; Unemployment ; Wages ; Intergenerational Income Distribution ; Aggregate Human Capital ; Aggregate Labor Productivity
C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods > C1 - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General > C12 - Hypothesis Testing: General
J - Labor and Demographic Economics > J1 - Demographic Economics > J16 - Economics of Gender ; Non-labor Discrimination
|Depositing User:||Ciprian-Ionel TURTUREAN|
|Date Deposited:||26. Apr 2010 07:26|
|Last Modified:||15. Feb 2013 02:27|
1. Capanu, I.; Anghelache, C., (1997), Statistica macroeconomica. Bucuresti, Editura Economica
2. Capanu, I.; Anghelache, C., (2001), Indicatori macroeconomici. Continut, metodologie de calcul si analiza economic, Bucuresti, Ed. Economica
3. Chakravarti, I., Laha, R., Roy, J., (1967), Handbook of Methods of Applied Statistics, New York, Wiley
4. Demichel, Christine, Gonzalez; Fichet, Emmanuelle Nauze,(2003), Les contours de la population active: aux frontières de l´emploi, du chômage et de l´inactivité. Economie et statistique no. 361, INSSE, Paris
6. Lehmann, E. L., (1985), Nonparametrics: Statistical Methods Based on Ranks, San Francisco, McGraw Hill.
7. Neter, John; Wasserman, William; Whitmore, G.A., (1988), Applied Statistics, Boston, Allyn and Bacon
8. Reynaud, Bénédicte, (1994), Les théories du salaire. Paris: La Découverte
9. Siegel, S., (1956), Nonparametric statistics for the behavioral sciences, New York, McGraw-Hill
10. Smirnov, N. V., (1948), Table for estimating the goodness of fit of empirical distributions. Annals of Mathematical Statistics, 19: 279–281.
11. ***, Bureau International du Travail, (2003), Annuaire des Statistiques du Travail 2003
12. ***, Bureau International du Travail, (2003), International training compendium on labour statistics. Statistics of employment, unemployment, underemployment: economically active population, Torino
13. ***, NIS, (1998), Romanian Statistical Yearbook 1997, Bucuresti
14.***, NIS (2003),Romanian Statistical Yearbook 2002, Bucuresti
15. ***, NIS (2007),Romanian Statistical Yearbook 2006, Bucuresti
16.***, OCDE (2004), Perspectives de l´emploi de l´OCDE. Paris
17. TV show Financial Week, Antena 1, of June 14, 2008