Sahoo, Ganeswar (2010): International Capital Flows: An empirical study of the relationship between equity and debt investments.
Download (2MB) | Preview
Capital flows in today’s arena is a hot topic attracting many researchers to do some contributions. International capital flows are rapidly increasing day by day with huge increases in volume of trade in equity and debt markets. This piece of work is an effort and a kind of approach in finding out the cross relationship between equity and debt investments in capital markets and the investor’s portfolio decisions between equity and debt investments in international financial markets. In this paper, I have studied intensively world equity market, world debt and bond market. The relationship between equity and debt investment has been computed using statistical methods like covariance and correlation with linear regression analysis with US market data of past 200 years. I examine the relationship between equity and debt and reach with a conclusion that there is an inverse relationship between equity and debt investment.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||International Capital Flows: An empirical study of the relationship between equity and debt investments|
|Keywords:||International Capital Flows, Debt and Equity Investment, International financial markets.|
|Subjects:||G - Financial Economics > G1 - General Financial Markets > G11 - Portfolio Choice ; Investment Decisions
G - Financial Economics > G1 - General Financial Markets > G15 - International Financial Markets
F - International Economics > F2 - International Factor Movements and International Business > F21 - International Investment ; Long-Term Capital Movements
|Depositing User:||Ganeswar Sahoo|
|Date Deposited:||07. Sep 2010 04:56|
|Last Modified:||12. Feb 2013 19:21|
1. Carpentier, Cècile, L’Her, Jean-Francois, Suret, Jean-Marc(2005), The cost of issuing private versus public equity(2005).
2. Evans, Martin D.D. & Hnatkovska, Victoria (2005), International Capital flows, returns and world financial integration(2005), working paper, NBER. original source: Balance of payment statistics Yearbook(2003), IMF.
3. Fenn, George W. and Liang, Nellie(1995), The Economics of the Private Equity Market, Staff, Board of Governors Stephen Prowse, Staff, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System Washington, DC 20551, December 1995.
4. Friedman, Benjamin M.(1983), The Substitutability of debt and equity securities, NBER working paper No.1130
5. Gill, Indermit and Pinto, Brian(2005), Public debt in developing countries: Has the market-based model worked? World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 3674, August 2005.
6. Gobal Financial Stability Report 2009, World Economic and Financial Survey, IMF.
7. Greenwald, Bruce, Stiglitz, Joseph E.,Weiss,Andrew(1984), Informational Imperfections on the capital market and macro- economic fluctuations, NBER working paper No.1335,pp. 4.
8. Hau, Harald and Rey, Hélène, Source Can Portfolio Rebalancing Explain the Dynamics of Equity Returns, Equity Flows, and Exchange Rates? The American Economic Review. http://www.jstor.org/stable/3592869.
9. Hutchison, Michael, Binici, Mahir Schindler,Martin(2009), Controlling Capital? Legal Restrictions and the Asset Composition of International Financial Flows.
10. Jenkinson, Tim(2007), The Impact of private equity on public equity markets, Oxford University, 2007.
11. Jeremy J. Seigel, Stocks for the Long Run, 3rd ed. (New York: McGraw-Hill, 2002).
12. Krugman, Paul R.(1995), Currencies and Crises, MIT Publication, February 23, 1995,pp158.
13. Low Income countries’ access to private debt markets, Doug Hostland, Policy Research working paper 4829, World Bank, 2009.
14. Marsh, Paul(1982), The Choice Between Equity and Debt: An Empirical Study, http://www.jstor.org/stable/2327121, American Finance Association, March 1982.
15. Maslakovic, Marko(2009), IFSL Research Bond Markets July 2009, International Financial Services London.
16. Mehra, Rajnish, Prescott, Edward C.(2003), The equity premium in retrospect, NBER working paper 9525.
17. Overview: Private Investment in Public Equity (“PIPES”) A Friedland Global Capital markets White Paper www.friedlandcapital.com, March 2007.
18. Prasad, Dr. Bandi Ram(2002), Public Equity capital markets, Annual capital market review 2002-03, Bombay Stock Exchange.
19. Public Value: A primer on private equity 2007.
20. Rajnish Mehra and Edward C. Prescott, “The Equity Premium: A Puzzle,” Journal of Monetary Economics 15 (1985), pp. 145–61.
21. Santoso, Wimboh, Capital adequacy assessment with respect to market risk, Bank of Indonesia, Research paper no.4.
22. Shah, Ajay (2005), Returns on equity index portfolios in India, www.mayin.org/ajayshah/A/notes_indian_equity_premium.pdf.
23. Vasiliou, Dimitrios(2005), The choice between equity and debt: an empirical investigation, Athens University of Economics and Business, Greece.
24. World Investment Prospect survey 2009-2011, UNCTD.