Naqvi, Nadeem (2010): A theory of dynamic tariff and quota retaliation.
Download (795kB) | Preview
This paper establishes relationships between static Nash equilibria and dynamic Markov perfect equilibria of tariff and quota retaliation games. In supermodular games where tariffs are strategic complements, the steady state of every, symmetric Markov perfect equilibrium must have lower tariffs than in the static equilibrium. If tariffs are strategic substitutes, tariffs in the dynamic game are higher than in the static equilibrium. The supermodular case is extended to quota competition. Instead of the well-known non-equivalence between tariff and quota retaliation outcomes under complete myopia, in some circumstances, free trade can be supported in the steady state of a Markov perfect equilibrium, regardless of whether policies employed are quotas or tariffs. We reach the conclusion that the effect of introducing dynamics crucially depends on whether the policy instruments employed by the countries are strategic substitutes or complements irrespective of whether they are tariffs or quotas.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||A theory of dynamic tariff and quota retaliation|
|English Title:||A theory of dynamic tariff and quota retaliation|
|Keywords:||Foreign trade policy; Tariff; Quota; Retaliation; Dynamic Game; Markov perfect equilibrium; Supermodular games|
|Subjects:||F - International Economics > F1 - Trade > F13 - Trade Policy ; International Trade Organizations
C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods > C7 - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory > C73 - Stochastic and Dynamic Games ; Evolutionary Games ; Repeated Games
|Depositing User:||Nadeem Naqvi|
|Date Deposited:||24. Dec 2010 21:12|
|Last Modified:||31. Dec 2015 07:33|
1. Ausubel, L. M. and R. J. Deneckere, (1993), A Generalized Theorem of the Maximum, Economic Theory, 3, pp. 99-107.
2. Dana, R. A. and L. Montrucchio, (1986), Dynamic Complexity in Duopoly Games, Journal of Economic Theory, 40, pp. 40-56.
3. Ethier, W. J., Helpman, E. and Neary, J. P. (eds.), (1993), Theory, Policy and Dynamics in International Trade, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.
4. Fudenberg, D. and J. Tirole, (1984), The Fat Cat Effect, the Puppy Dog Ply, and the Lean and Hungry Look, American Economic Review, 74, pp. 361-366.
5. _______, (1991), Game Theory, MIT Press: Cambridge, Mass.
6. Furusawa, T. and T. Kamihigashi, (2006), Threats and Promises in Tariff Settings, mimeo.
7. Harsanyi, J. C. and R. Selten, (1988), A General Theory of Equilibrium Selection in Games, MIT Press: Cambridge, Mass.
8. Johnson, H., (1953-54), Optimum Tariffs and Retaliation, Review of Economic Studies, 21, pp. 142-153. Referred to in the text as Johnson (1953-54).
9. Maskin, E. and J. Tirole, (1987), A Theory of Dynamic Oligopoly, Part III: Cournot Competition, European Economic Review, 31, pp. 947-968.
10. _______, (1988a), A Theory of Dynamic Oligopoly, Part I: Overview and Quantity Competition with Large Fixed Costs, Econometrica, 56, pp. 549-569.
11. _______, (1988b), A Theory of Dynamic Oligopoly, Part II: Price Competition, Kinked Demand Curves, and Edgeworth Cycles, Econometrica, 56, pp. 571-599.
12. Milgrom, P. and J. Roberts, (1990), Rationalizability, Learning and Equilibrium in Games with Strategic Complementarities, Econometrica, 58, pp. 1255-1277.
13. Milgrom, P. and C. Shannon, (1994), Monotone Comparative Statics, Econometrica, 62, pp. 157-180.
14. Neary, J. P., (1988), Export Subsidies and National Welfare, Emperica-Austrian Economic Papers, 15, pp. 243-261.
15. ______, (1993), Welfare Effects of Tariffs and Investment Taxes, in Ethier et al. (eds.), 1993, pp. 131 – 156.
16. Parthasarathy, K. R., (1967), Probability Measures on Metric Spaces, Academic Press: New York, NY.
17. Rodriguez, C. A., (1974), The Non-equivalence of Tariffs and Quotas under Retaliation, Journal of International Economics, 4, pp. 295-298.
18. Smart, D. R., (1974), Fixed Point Theorems, Cambridge University Press: London.
19. Stokey, N. L., and R. E. Lucas, Jr., (1989), Recursive Methods in Economic Dynamics, Harvard University Press: Cambrdige, Mass.
20. Topkis D.M., (1979): Equilibrium Point in Nonzero/Sum n-Person Submodular Games, SIAM Journal of Control and Optimization, 17, pp. 773-787.
21. Vives, X., (1990), Nash Equilibrium with Strategic Complementarities, Journal of Mathematical Economics, 10, pp. 305-321.
22. Tower, E., (1975), The Optimum Quota and Retaliation, Review of Economic Studies, 42, pp. 623-630.