Kundurjiev, T. and Salchev, Petko (2011): Technical efficiency of hospital psychiatric care in Bulgaria – assessment using Data Envelopment Analysis.
Download (474kB) | Preview
The present article deals with the theme of efficiency in healthcare and especially technical efficiency in psyaciatric hospital care. We used the method of data envelopment analysis (DEA), which finds increasing application in many spheres of public life, including healthcare. We subdivided the treatment facilities in the current study in three groups and estimated technical efficiency for each group. We present a possible assesment method, which provides an opportunity for improving efficiency in the sector.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Original Title:||Technical efficiency of hospital psychiatric care in Bulgaria – assessment using Data Envelopment Analysis|
|Keywords:||healthcare, efficiency, DEA, hospital|
|Subjects:||I - Health, Education, and Welfare > I1 - Health > I11 - Analysis of Health Care Markets
C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods > C0 - General
C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods > C8 - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology ; Computer Programs > C87 - Econometric Software
C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods > C1 - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General > C12 - Hypothesis Testing: General
C - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods > C6 - Mathematical Methods ; Programming Models ; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling > C67 - Input-Output Models
|Depositing User:||Prof. Petko Salchev|
|Date Deposited:||21. Feb 2011 01:33|
|Last Modified:||25. Feb 2013 15:18|
1. Бюлетин Икономическа информация 2009. НЦЗИ. София, 2010.
2. Христов Н, П Салчев, Ефективност в здравеопазването и DEA, Социална медицина и здравен мениджмънт 2008, 4: 52-62.
3. Banker RD, 1996, Hypothesis Tests Using Data Envelopment Analysis, Journal of Productivity Analysis 7, 139-159.
4. Banker RD, A Charnes and WW Cooper, 1984, Some models for estimating technical and scale inefficiencies, Management Science 30, 1078-1092.
5. Bhattacharyya GK and RA Johnson, 1977, Statistical concepts and methods (John Wiley & Sons, New York).
6. Charnes A, WW Cooper and E Rhodes, 1978, Measuring the efficiency of Decision Making Units, European Journal of Operational Research 2, 429-444.
7. Charnes A, Cooper W, Lewin AY, Seiford LW: Data Envelopment Analysis: Theory. Methodology and Applications Kluwer Academic Publishers; 1994.
8. Chang H, Determinants of hospital efficiency: the case of central government- owned hospitals in Taiwan. Omega International Journal of Management Science 1998, 26(2):307-317.
9. Chattopadhy S, Ray CS: Technical, scale, and size efficiency in nursing home care: a nonparametric analysis of Connecticut homes. Health Economics 1996, 5:363-373.
10. Ersoy K, Kavuncubasi S, Ozcan YA, and Harris JM: Technical efficiencies of Turkish hospitals: DEA approach. Journal of Medical Systems 1997, 21(2):67-74.
11. Giuffrida A, Gravelle H: Measuring performance in primary care: econometric analysis and DEA. Applied Economics 2001, 33:163-175.
12. Jacobs R: Alternative methods to examine hospital efficiency: data envelopment analysis and stochastic frontier analysis. Health Care Management Science 2001, 4:103-115.
13. Kirigia JM, Asbu EZ, Greene W, Emrouznejad A: Technical efficiency, efficiency change, technical progress and productivity growth in the national health systems of continental African Countries. Eastern Africa Social Science Research Review 2007, XXIII (2):19-40.
14. Kirigia JM, Emrouznejad A, Sambo LG: Measurement of technical efficiency of public hospitals in Kenya: using data envelopment analysis. Journal of Medical Systems 2002, 26(1):39-45.
15. Shroff HFE, Gulledge TR, Haynes KE, O'neill MK: Efficiency of long-term health care facilities. Socio-Economic Planning Science 1998, 32(1):25-43.
16. Sverre A, C Kittelsen, J Magnussen, Testing DEA models of efficiency in Norwegian psychiatric outpatient clinics, Working Paper 1999: 4
17. Zere EA, Addison T, McIntyre D: Hospital efficiency in sub-Saharan Africa: evidence from South Africa. South African Journal of Economics 2000, 69(2):336-358.
Available Versions of this Item
- Technical efficiency of hospital psychiatric care in Bulgaria – assessment using Data Envelopment Analysis. (deposited 21. Feb 2011 01:33) [Currently Displayed]