Msuya, Elibariki and Ashimogo, Gasper (2005): Estimation of Technical Efficiency in Tanzanian Sugarcane Production: A Case Study of Mtibwa Sugar Estate Outgrowers Scheme. Published in: Economic and Development Papers, Mzumbe University , Vol. 1, No. 1 (2005): pp. 28-46.
Download (205kB) | Preview
This study describes the technical efficiency of sugarcane production and the factors affecting this efficiency. The study was conducted in Turiani Division, Mvomero District, Morogoro Region, Tanzania. Specifically, the study determined and compared the level of technical efficiency of outgrower and non-outgrower farmers, and examined the relationship between levels of efficiency and various specific factors. A cross sectional single-visit survey that included randomly selected representative samples of 140 outgrower and non-outgrower farmers was conducted. To estimate technical efficiency analysis was done using a (FRONTIER Version 4.1) computer program for stochastic frontier production and cost function estimation developed by Coelli, (1996). Technical efficiency was estimated using the Cobb-Douglas production frontier assumed to have a truncated normal distribution. The results of the estimation showed that there were significant positive relationships between age, education, and experience with technical efficiency.
|Item Type:||MPRA Paper|
|Institution:||Sokoine University of Agriculture|
|Original Title:||Estimation of Technical Efficiency in Tanzanian Sugarcane Production: A Case Study of Mtibwa Sugar Estate Outgrowers Scheme|
|Keywords:||Technical efficiency; Outgrowers; Sugarcane; Morogoro; Tanzania|
|Subjects:||Q - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics ; Environmental and Ecological Economics > Q1 - Agriculture > Q12 - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
D - Microeconomics > D2 - Production and Organizations > D24 - Production ; Cost ; Capital ; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity ; Capacity
D - Microeconomics > D1 - Household Behavior and Family Economics > D13 - Household Production and Intrahousehold Allocation
|Depositing User:||Elibariki Msuya|
|Date Deposited:||29. Jun 2007|
|Last Modified:||12. Feb 2013 13:28|
1. Admassie, A. and Matambalya, F. A. (2002). Technical efficiency of small- and medium-scale enterprises: evidence from a survey of enterprises in Tanzania. Eastern Africa Social Science Research Review XVIII (2): 1 - 29.
2. Aigner, D. J., Lovell, C. A. K. and Schmidt, P. (1977). Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models. Journal of Econometrics 6: 21-37. 3. Basnayake, B. M. J. K., and Gunaratne, L. H. P. (2002). Estimation of Technical Efficiency and It’s Determinants in the Tea Small Holding Sector in the Mid Country Wet Zone of Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka Journal of Agricultural Economics 4: 137-150.
4. Battese, G. E. and Coelli, T. J. (1995). A model for technical inefficiency effects in a stochastic frontier production function for panel data. Empirical Economics 20: 325-332.
5. Coelli, T. J. (1996). A Guide To Frontier Version 4.1 A Computer Program For Stochastic Frontier Production And Cost Function Estimation. CEPA Working Papers, 96/07, University of New England, Australia. 135pp.
6. Coelli, T. J., Rao, D. S. P. and Battese, G. E. (1998). An Introduction to Efficiency and Productivity Analysis. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, U.S.A. 356pp.
7. Daily News, (2002). Kigoda defends privatisation policy. Tanzania Standard Newspaper Limited, Dar es Salaam. pp. 5 – 6.
8. Dey, M. M. (2000). Technical efficiency of tilapia growout pond operations in the Philippines. Aquaculture Economics and Management 4 (1/2). pp. 73 – 112.
9. ESRF, (2002). Focus on Morogoro Region, ESRF Quarterly Economic Report 5(1): 22 - 27.
10. Greene, W. H. (1990). A gamma distributed stochastic frontier model. Journal of econometrics 46: 141-163. 11. Jaume, P. J. (2000). Technical inefficiency and public capital in U.S. states: A Stochastic Frontier Approach. Pompeu Fabra University, Barcelona, Spain. 78pp.
12. Kirkley, J. E., Squires, D. & Strand, I. E. (1995). Assessing technical efficiency in commercial fisheries: the Mid-Atlantic sea scallop fishery. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 77: 686-697.
13. Maganya, E. N. (1990). The working and living conditions of plantation workers in Tanzania. Proceedings of a National tripartite Workshop organised by the International Labour Office, Morogoro, Tanzania. pp. 41 – 52.
14. Mbilinyi, M. and Semakafu, A. M. (1995). Gender and Employment on Sugar Cane Plantations in Tanzania, working papers SAP 2.44/WP.85.
15. Meeusen, W. and Van den Broeck, J. (1977). Efficiency Estimation From Cobb-Douglas Production Function With Composed Error. International Economic Review 18: 435-444.
16. Msambichaka, L. A. and Bagachwa M. S. D. (1986). The impact of structural changes in plantations: The case of Tanzania, ILO Sectoral Activities Programme Working Papers. 236pp.
17. Netherlands Development Cooperation (NDC), (1992). Sector aid and Structural Adjustment: The case of sugar in Tanzania. Evaluation reports. Amsterdam, Netherlands. 181pp.
18. Pagán, J. A. (2001). Explaining Technical Inefficiency in Mexico’s micro-enterprises. University of Texas-Pan American, Edinburgh. 78pp.
19. Parikh, A., Ali, F. & Shah, M. K. (1995). Measurement of economic efficiency in Pakistan agriculture. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 77: 675-685.
20. Rawlins, G. (1989). A Model to Measure Achieved Levels of Technical Efficiency of Africa Farmers. CERAF, Montclair State University, New Jersey. 336pp.
21. Senkondo, E. M. M. (1988). Economic analysis of Tanzania’s sugar industry: The case of Kilombero Sugar Company. Unpublished Dissertation for award of MSc Degree at University of Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya. 194pp.
22. Senkondo E. M. M. and Ashimogo, G. C. (1991). Factor substitution and wage employment in agriculture. The case of Kilombero Sugar Estate. Beitr. Trop. Landwirtsch. Vet.med. 29 (H. 3): 259 – 266.
23. Seyoum, E. T., Battese G. E. and Fleming E. M. (1998). Technical Efficiency and Productivity of Maize Producers in Eastern Ethiopia: A Case Study of Farmers Within and Outside The Sasakawa-Global 2000 Project. Agricultural Economics 19: 341-348.
24. Sprenger, E. L. M. (1991). Recent developments in smallholder outgrower sugarcane production and impact on household level: Assessment report of Kilombero Sugar Company. Third World Centre, The Netherlands. 127pp.